Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What do you do with empty thread spools? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-do-you-do-empty-thread-spools-t22808.html)

omak 07-15-2009 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
I don't save all mine. I did save a couple, ran yarn thru the holes and hung it up on my door for my cat to play with.

See??? everything is a toy for someone! <g>

zennia 07-15-2009 11:26 AM

I save mine but don't know why. Someday I might find a use for them. I like Bevs idea of a cat toy. I may do that.

sunnyhope 07-15-2009 11:27 AM

what about either leave them as they are, or sparypaint them and then glue them onto something and use them as hangers, u can put jewelry or craft stuff on :wink:

BlueChicken 07-15-2009 12:58 PM

I don't save all mine. I did save a couple, ran yarn thru the holes and hung it up on my door for my cat to play with.

I throw mine onto the floor for the cat to play with! :-)

sunnyhope 07-15-2009 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by BlueChicken

I throw mine onto the floor for the cat to play with! :-)

neither of my cats are bothered with them,lol

Nursesews 07-15-2009 01:27 PM

I put my dull needles in medicine bottles for disposal.

omak 07-15-2009 03:10 PM

Funny you should mention this because just this morning, I finished one of those spools from Connecting Threads?
First I threw it away, then I grabbed it back out of the bin and tossed it on to the floor for our cat, Peanut! .... He sort of looked at it, and just about the time he figured out to play with it, I figured that he would probably lose it, but I have some selvedge tied on to a drawer handle for him to play with, and if I put it on there, he would probably be able to play with that spool better (it is a long cylinder for those of you who haven't seen those thread holders).
Just about the time I reached down to grab the spool back, because I had changed my mind, HE decided that I really had intended for him to play with it, and one quick swipe of his paw ... under the refrigerator it went!
I got down on my hands and knees, and saw it, just barely out of reach of my hand, and I went to get a ruler to coax it out ..
long story almost ended - - I didn't get the spool back, but if you had left the tip before I emptied the spool .... LOL
Isn't life just a HOOT???? Our lives get connected in such strange ways, eh? LOL

BellaBoo 07-15-2009 07:28 PM

The Connecting Thread spools I saved a few to use as adapters for the big spools of Star quilting thread I have that are too big to fit on my machine spool pin. I remember having to buy an adapter for the spools and it wasn't cheap but I have misplaced it somewhere.

littlehud 07-15-2009 08:30 PM

I just throw mine away.

May in Jersey 07-16-2009 04:51 AM

I save them in a baggie in my sewing closet. My guild uses them for a door prize during our quilt shows. A huge jar is filled with spools of many colors and sizes, people guess the number of spools in the jar and the person who guesses the correct number or comes the nearest to it wins a prize.

I've also sent some to teachers or scout leaders who were collecting them for projects with their kids. May in Jersey