Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Was The First Quilt You Made? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-first-quilt-you-made-t67090.html)

janice 09-28-2010 03:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My very first was a rag quilt made with fern pattern flannel on both sides (sure hope the pics show up).

Janice M.

Matilda 09-28-2010 03:47 PM

A baby quilt for my oldest son who he and his wife has just two weeks ago their first child, a daughter. The quilt was little squares of mostly yellow flannel with blue and green too and with yellow flannel backing.

Sew_Deer 09-28-2010 04:05 PM

Mine was a Log Cabin. The one in my Avitar. Took a class and I couldn't figure out how to put it together to get the lightening bolt or any of the other suggested patterns so I ended up with what you see. I never noticed it looked rather 3D till I posted it. Did a SID just guessing on how to hand quilt. Still use it as a Sofa throw.

clarerowley 09-28-2010 04:12 PM

My first was for my baby girl - a log cabin made out of white, yellow and pink flannel and I still have it ready to give to her to hand down when that time arrives - sniff, sniff~

sew_it_up 09-28-2010 04:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first quilt was a Double Wedding Ring for my older daughter. It is king size. I made this one about 15 years ago. She still has it. I did not think this out or I would not have agreed to this pattern. Everything was cut out with scissors. I sewed it together one week when I was sick and not able to go to work.

janb 09-28-2010 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by sew_it_up
My first quilt was a Double Wedding Ring for my older daughter. It is king size. I made this one about 15 years ago. She still has it. I did not think this out or I would not have agreed to this pattern. Everything was cut out with scissors. I sewed it together one week when I was sick and not able to go to work.

What a huge project for the first one...! How brave you were! It is really beautiful!

joyceinoh 09-28-2010 04:44 PM

My first quilt was made from old blue jeans, I used a blanket for the backing. (no batting) Tied it. It was big enuf to cover our Q bed. But weighed 10# So I later took it apart and made 2 small quilts out of it. My grand kids use those for sleep outs, like boy scout trips etc.
They are warm bu,t so heavy you can't wiggle your toes under them.

N.J.linda 09-28-2010 04:52 PM

Woman's Day "make a quilt in a weekend". Never making a quilt before I thought it would be fun. A king sized Trip around the world was a challenge for a new mother, and I knew nothing about rotary cutters so it was all hand cut with scissors. Long arm quilters were not in my vocabulary either so I hand tied the whole giant quilt. And that was my auspicious start in quilting 25 years ago.

jitkaau 09-28-2010 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by EmsMom
I have been looking at the gorgeous pictures of everyone's quilts. They are absolutely amazing and beautiful! It just got me thinking (as a newbie) what everyone else started with.

So, what was the first quilt you made?

I made a single bed sampler quilt similar to the one on the front cover of Diana Leone's book, 'The New Sampler Quilt'. My colours, however, were mainly navy blue, French pink, and white.

wildyard 09-28-2010 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My first was called a stack and whack, but not the kind that looks like a kaleidascope.