Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is a good material for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-good-material-quilting-t116962.html)

mpspeedy 04-18-2011 03:40 AM

WELCOME from Maryland
I have been quilting more than 40 years. My first quilts were made from leftover scraps from garments. When I started no one I knew was quilting. Over the years I have learned a lot but I still make quilts out of whatever suits me at the time. In the beginning you will make mistakes and if money is an issue it will hurt less if you don't have a fortune tied up in designer fabric. I am currently in production of Linus quilts. They are made mostly of cotton flannel and children's cotton prints. I admit I shop mostly at Joanns or Walmart for the fabric. If I can get it on clearance all the better. I know from experience with my own grandchildren that they don't care how much you paid just that they like it and you made it for them. I also know that non quilters rarely know how to care for a quilt so it will eventually be washed and or loved to death.
My friends tease me because I spend as much time feeling fabric as I do choosing. I am a handquilter and I don't plan on spending that kind of time touching something that doesn't feel good.

Vat 04-18-2011 03:42 AM

Sometimes I buy fabric at Joann's if it is what I truly want. The same goes for Walmart. But for a first quilt I would just buy what I thought would be FUN. You will probably end up loving quilting and then you will want the very best fabric you can find. Cause trust me, quilting it additive! ! ! ! ! !

Grambi 04-18-2011 07:32 AM

I agree with the advice of buying what you can afford most of the time. However, if you are taking the class at a LQS, I would consider buying the fabric from them out of courtesy. You could definately save money on other supplies at Joanns, Hancock, Hobby Lobby, etc. This is just my opinion and I'm not calling anyone discourteous.

Melrose R 04-18-2011 07:35 AM

Welcome, this place is the best for learning. Enjoy your retirement and quilting!

purplefiend 04-18-2011 07:38 AM

I like the following:
www.overrainbow.com
www.connectingthreads.com
www.bighornquilts.com
www.wishuponaquilt.com
www.batiksetc.com

catrancher 04-18-2011 07:39 AM

The only thing you need to know about fabric: 100% cotton. Otherwise, buy what you like, and what you can afford.

For thread, I like:

Http://www.connectingthreads.com
Http://www.threadart.com

dollycaswell 04-18-2011 07:40 AM

I've bought fantastic fabric from Hancock's of Paducah online and www.aaaquilterssupply.com Both usually have a "buy at least XXX dollars worth" and the shipping is free. In my opinion their fabric is top quality, they usually cut a few inches more than I ordered on each piece, and they both ship promptly. But I've bought successfully online for many years. You just be careful with your credit card and personal information. Oh yes, there are incredible speciality blocks at www.oldeamericaantiques.com not cheap but will make a special quilt, really special.

EIQuilter 04-18-2011 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by nannie1954
Does anyone order their material online? Do you have a good website I could look at? Also I was going to purchase embroidery thread and that is 3.25 a spool. Its been a long time since I have bought thread and this seems outrageous. Is there a good place to order embroidery thread online.

I have bought fabric at www.fabric.com and www.stitch-n-frame.net (they have good sales!). For thread, you might check out www.metroemb.com. I use it on my longarm quilting machine and love it. They have great prices. I'm not affiliated in any way with any of these places, but I'm a really happy customer!

ShirlinAZ 04-18-2011 07:43 AM

Welcome to the world of quilting. I agree with "buy what and where you can afford". There is nothing wrong with Joann fabrics. There are some people who resent big box stores like Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, etc. Ignore them. Yes, I like to buy from a local small business if I can, but the next best thing is to think about the local people the big box stores employ. Fabric is fabric and you find a variety of qualities in every fabric store - even your local quilt shop. Enjoy your class.

Abby'smom 04-18-2011 07:45 AM

welcome from se TX