Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is a good material for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-good-material-quilting-t116962.html)

quiltsRfun 04-18-2011 07:48 AM

Try Threadart. They have a good selection of embroidery thread. Don't know if their grab bag special is still running but they had 20 spools of rayon or polyester thread for $19.99.

threadart.com

pollym44 04-18-2011 07:50 AM

Welcome from Natchez, Ms.

Parrothead 04-18-2011 08:02 AM

If the LQS is giving you a list of supplies, be careful and ask here before you buy. I have a friend on a fixed income that wanted to learn to quilt. She signed up for a class and was given a list. The list totaled over $300. She didn't go to the class because she could not afford the supplies. I told her for her first quilt to get out her scissors, thread and needle and a measuring device and go for it. I also told her to do a simple block or strip pattern first. Later she purchased some of the supplies but a less expensive brand.
Remember our grandmothers did not have a LQS, they used what they had, feed/flour sacks, material left over from making garments, old clothes, etc. I have some 70+ year old quilts that are fine.

salsalady 04-18-2011 08:26 AM

i order online for fabrics. the connecting thread.com fat quarter.com. i have found that i like them both. i have also ordered from joann's but the symphony brand is a little thin.

grannypat7925 04-18-2011 08:33 AM

I get my emb. thread at marathonusa.com and last time I ordered it was $1.75 for mini king in polyester. Never have had any problems with it.

FroggyinTexas 04-18-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by nannie1954
hello everyone! I have recently retired and want to make a quilt. I just purchased a baby lock esante. I have a little sewing experience but have never attemted to make a quilt. I am going to take a class for this. I was told you don't want to go to joann fabrics to buy material to make a quilt. Was told a place to go buy material and it is a better quality. I know a lot of time goes in to a quilt. What do you all think about material and what brands should i buy. Thanks and I will probably be on here a lot trying to learn. It took me about 2 hours to learn how to thread the machine. I had to keep reading the book. Oh well, finally got it threaded. lol

For crying out loud! JoAnn has some lovely fabrics, some by the same designers you'll find in quilt shops. You will find fabrics you want to use in many different places. Look at all the people on this board who find tons of fabrics at estate/garage sales and don't have a clue where they originated and really don't care!

Quilt shops have some lovely fabrics, but they also have some junk. Price doesn't determine which is which wherever you buy it. Some of the loveliest fabric I ever bought came from Wal Mart for $2.87 a yard. The quilt I made from it won a prize. froggyintexas

EagarBeez 04-18-2011 09:16 AM

A big hi from Eastern Arizona. I have purchased fabric from Joanne's and have had no problem, I also bought from Walmart too. The fabric was more in my price range. You will soon be addicted. I love crafts, but, I've been hooked on quilt making for about 4 years according to DH

newbee3 04-18-2011 09:45 AM

all fabrics are not equal no matter where you buy them just feel them and decide for yourself.

jmanghamom 04-18-2011 09:46 AM

I buy some of my material on-line. So far I am really pleased with it. They have a very good selection, and the prices are very good. Marshall drygoods.

bearisgray 04-18-2011 10:13 AM

There is a learning curve in determining what is "good/suitable" fabric for quilting.

Price and/or source (LQS, chain store, etc) are not the only factors.