Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   what is a good material for quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-good-material-quilting-t116962.html)

Doreen 04-18-2011 10:14 AM

Welcome from El Paso Tx! If you are new to quilting, I would buy fabric where ever you are most comfortable. We all use coupons at Joann's. Sign up for the mailer. The cost of fabric has gone up coniderably. I buy a lot of material online.

Kayaker26 04-18-2011 10:20 AM

Buy whatever you like from whereever you like and enjoy sewing your fabrics together. The rules do not apply because they are not really any rules. My son told me patterns are mearly a guideline! I love that!

sharoney 04-18-2011 10:22 AM

Hello and welcome- I buy alot online, from 5bucksayard.com, and quiltfabriccloseouts.com

nab 04-18-2011 10:31 AM

I would be sure it is cotton and not poly/cotton. For my first quilt, I did buy Wal-Mart fabric, because if it did not turn out good it was no big loss. I am still not into buying the very expensive fabric when it comes to a mystery quilt. I have found that most of the time I am not happy enough with the results that I wished I had bought the really good fabric. If you are making one for a special occasion or person yes, get the best you can afford. But for my first try no. What if you find you do not like to quilt? God forbid this should happen, but it does. If the place you are taking your class from is a quilt shop they may offer a discount if you buy your supplies from them. Anyway, please have fun. Let us know how it goes.

roadrunr 04-18-2011 11:45 AM

I don't think it matters where you buy the fabric. The fabric in Walmart is also good, but i porbably wouldn't make a show qyuilt out of it. The fabric from Walmart, JoAnn's Hancock is fine for quilts that get used and abused.

Jim's Gem 04-18-2011 04:23 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!!

labtechkty 04-18-2011 05:05 PM

I buy what I like...just make sure the fabric isn't gauzy-like or thin....Joann's, Hobby Lobby, and yes even Ebay and other on-line fabric stores offer alot of nice inexpensive material...

ShortRound 04-18-2011 05:31 PM

If you are taking the class at a LQS, they probably expect you to buy at least some of the fabric from them as that gives them some compensation for offering the classes. I expect the instructor gets the bigger portion of the fee they charge for the class. The "one" class I took was like that. When they gave you the list of needed fabrics, they 'suggested' that you purchase from their stock. If you are taking a class somewhere else, buy whatever you like.

redmadder 04-18-2011 05:44 PM

There is no guru of the correct fabric. Stick to woven cotton, otherwise it's what you feel good working with as you learn.

CarrieAnne 04-18-2011 05:52 PM

I buy my fabric everywhere. I just look at it well, and make sure it isnt see through and thin.