Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What I learned at quilt retreat (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-i-learned-quilt-retreat-t202831.html)

chuckbere15 10-11-2012 07:16 PM

That is why I always take my ear buds to drown out the chatty Kathy and whining women. And I always bring extra clothes to dress for the occasion. For me, it seems, I'm get cold easy and I still bring clothes if the room is to warm. I wouldn't want to see some of the ladies running around in their granny panties and I'm sure they would not want to see me running around in my boxer.

Ruby the Quilter 10-11-2012 07:31 PM

I haven't been on any retreats - but the same is true with quilting classes. Took a class and a lady brought her new machine in she had bought at the store and thought during the quilting class they could give her lessons on the new machine- what a waste of time for those of us there to learn.

Shirlrh 10-11-2012 08:21 PM

Good for you!!! I would be right there by you. (Quite as a mouse)

gotta-sew 10-11-2012 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5577662)
I don't think that was called for.

Amen. I thought the same thing.

cad_queen_2000 10-11-2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 5576433)
I've never been to a retreat but I can tell you that I don't suffer in silence. Once the patience has been used up, I tend to speak my mind. lol

hear hear!! I have never been to a retreat either (I would love to go to one), but I was in a movie theatre, and there was a girl sitting next to me that kept texting every 5 minutes. I leaned over and said "move it a little closer I can't quite read it." She turned it off and put it away.

rush88888 10-12-2012 01:01 AM

i take the easy way out...my girlfriend and i share space. this way, we don't have to sit with someone we don't know! she can tell me to shut up and get to work! lol

MaryLane 10-12-2012 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5577660)
You're not an annoyance!!! You can come sit by me and I'll help you with your machine or your project and I don't care if you talk to your kids and hubby on your cell phone. And if you're cold I'll even loan you my sweater!!

Don't let one stick in the mud attitude deter you!!

Thank you! I made friends at the retreat I was at that I am still in contact with. So, probably wasn't that bad. I just know I talk and worry. A lot of the time I need conversation to overcome the ringing in my ears or I go crazy. I don't have to talk but I will ask you questions to hear YOU talk.

calicojoan 10-12-2012 03:09 AM

You need to come to our quilt retreats. A box of wine, our beautiful "red plastic cup" wine glasses and lots and lots of fabric and thread. We stitch and drink our wine until we wilt!! After just so much wine, you could care less about clients, heating or cooling systems, or for that matther if our machines are working properly!! LOL!!:D But I hear you, I think we have all been to one of THOSE kind of retreats at one time or another! Sounds like you have a great plan.

lisalovesquilting 10-12-2012 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5577660)
You're not an annoyance!!! You can come sit by me and I'll help you with your machine or your project and I don't care if you talk to your kids and hubby on your cell phone. And if you're cold I'll even loan you my sweater!!

Don't let one stick in the mud attitude deter you!!

Okay, but you didn't address the talking nonstop issue. One time I was beside a woman who told me all about her ailments, her surgeries and just when I thought she might be finished I got to hear about her husband's ailments, surgeries... This is why I now go only with friends. I do love retreats, laughter, eating etc. and don't mind helping,but don't want to be someone's babysitter.

Nantie 10-12-2012 03:37 AM

I guess it doesn't matter where the issues you mention have been something we have all experienced, the cell phone issue for me though is the most aggravating, if you are that important and need to be called every 30-60 minutes you maybe are too important to attend a retreat where others come to sew, or at least take your calls outside the quilting room, i think the only thing worse is the person who has to skype (?sp) on their computer with their daughters and grandchildren or whomever, I'm so glad you were able to move