Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What a Mess! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-mess-t274854.html)

cathyvv 01-22-2016 09:47 PM

I have one of those pincushions, too.

When he last visited, my 13 year old nephew exclaimed, "Aunt Cathy, you have so many pins on the floor!" Which was code for "why don't you pick them up?"

I told him that's why I wear shoes all the time. In fact, kids that normally go barefoot in the house know that shoes are required when visiting. They have learned that lesson from finding pins with their feet. Maybe that's why they leave lego's on the floor...to teach me a lesson.

Siodach 01-23-2016 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by mike'sgirl (Post 7442329)
I wish I had a sewing room! I have to wait for a kid to move out before I get one. I'm not ready for that step yet!

Thats exactly what happened here 5 months ago - the last chick flew! Now I have my own space, which is properly wonderful. (Shelves and a design wall, wow!!!!) However DH now complains that I spend too much time in there, but also won't agree to a wee second machine for doing some piecing downstairs, beside him and the tv lol.

justflyingin 01-23-2016 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by zozee (Post 7442348)
Ummm. I could take a guest in my sewing room if I cleared off the design wall, AKA queen bed, the ironing table, AKA nightstand, fabric storage dresser, AKA, other nightstand, and pincushion, AKA carpeted floor.

LOL. It made me laugh.

ManiacQuilter2 01-23-2016 04:27 AM

I have a very tiny 2nd bedroom and that is used for storing all of my fabrics and crafts. No room for a guest!

KenmoreGal2 01-23-2016 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by faykilgore (Post 7442282)
Can anyone on this board put a guest in their sewing room for a weekend?

Sewing room - Ha!! My "sewing room" is a section of the unfinished basement. Our house is full full full of people in all the rooms. No guest room or sewing room here.

DebraK 01-23-2016 05:01 AM

I'm afraid that a guest in my home would have to bunk with either my husband or son, couch it, or use an air mattress next to the longarm in the living room. My sewing room is my sanctuary and not to be occupied by anyone else as a hotel room ;-)

NJ Quilter 01-23-2016 05:19 AM

In a pinch, that is what my sewing room is 'supposed' to be. I'd first have to fold up the cutting table, move it behind the futon, clear off all the fabric, mending, dog hair from the futon, etc. before I even started to be able to clean! Good luck.

Sharonquilts 01-23-2016 05:22 AM

My little birds are grown and out on their own for sometime now. My daughter's room is available for guests. I sew in a corner of my son's room. I just can't talk my husband into letting me take over the entire room so it still has a bedroom suite. I store all my craft items (yarn, fabric, etc.) in a chest of drawers as well as bags beside and on the bed. So, no, it's really not ready for guests. I guess we just can't bring ourselves to not having a place if our kids do need to come back. Ha.

faykilgore 01-23-2016 05:24 AM

Thanks for all the comments! Many made me LOL! Hadn't thought of pins in the carpet. Since I sew in socked feet, I try to avoid those, but will check for escapees. When I had a house, moving into my daughter's BR happened the day she moved out. That was my first actual sewing room and it was fabulous. My husband also complained that he never saw me anymore after that. Now I live in a 2BR apartment and of course the 2nd BR is the sewing room. Hosting overnight guests motivated me to clean and organize, so it's a good thing. The upstairs linen closet houses the vacuum cleaners, the serger and the small sewing machine. Hmmm. May have to rethink that arrangement. Thanks for the idea.

toverly 01-23-2016 05:28 AM

I have a twin bed in my sewing room so any guests get my son's room. My son has to put up with the fabric and tailings. I love having guests because after the house is all cleaned and they leave, I'm free to sew. No housework in sight.