Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What a Mess! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-mess-t274854.html)

Claire123 01-23-2016 09:33 PM

Depends how much notice I have.

I had two people in mine over Thanksgiving, my daughter and her fiancé. The hard part was remembering where I had put things afterwards, not so much tidying it up beforehand.

busy fingers 01-23-2016 10:50 PM

My sewing room was originally intended as a guest studio - it is separate cabin in my back garden - but over the years I have decided no more guests it is "my space" . Consider me mean and selfish - so be it.

mamagrande 01-23-2016 11:55 PM

My house was built by my DH so we two bedrooms 11' x 13 plus the 15' x 15' master bedroom and we have a sofa in the living room and one in the family room.
When all of my kids left I took over one bed room and have squeezed 2 twin beds plus a full sized bed in the other:o. there is only walking space between them.

This last Thursday my nephews family were in town for a funeral, so they all stayed there...I could put a twin mattress under the long arm in my sewing room if I have to but I don't usually have too many visitors.

Aurora 01-24-2016 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7442340)
That's the whole point of claiming the spare room as a sewing room. Guests needs to stay in a hotel.

I agree. That is why I live in a Tiny House and have a sewing cottage!

williesmom 01-24-2016 04:25 AM

We actually have a guest room in addition to my sewing room. BUT I need at least 24 hour notice of impending guests so I can clean all the stuffed animals off the bed!

Vat 01-24-2016 05:23 AM

I actually can. But I don't think I would do that unless there is an emergency. When we built our house, we built a 3 bedrooms home, but in reality I only have one (1) bedroom. The Master bedroom is where my husband and I sleep, one of the other rooms is my sewing studio and the one left is sort of a den for my husband. So, we have NO company except for emergencies, doesn't that sound like a plan ! ! ? ! ! HA HA ! !

sassysews2 01-24-2016 05:26 AM

I'd have to tie a rope around their waist so they could find their way out in the morning. Had a quilting friend needing advice and wanted to drop by on short notice. Should have seen the fabric fly, fastest cleanup on record. lol

Karamarie 01-24-2016 05:29 AM

Siodach - I can so relate to you. I reclaimed a bedroom as a sewing room when the last bird flew the nest and it is upstairs. I spend time in it which gives hubby and I "space" which I feel is part of a healthy relationship and when both are retired you need that. Once in awhile if I'm chain piecing and don't need a lot of stuff other than the pieces and sewing machine, I will bring my Elna downstairs and sew on the dining room table but not often. I like the mess away from the living space. Have one guest room, so if that is being used it's either a couch or the floor. I'm fortunate as I live in a big old farmhouse. Whatever works for the space you have.

Snooze2978 01-24-2016 05:30 AM

I'm fortunate to have a guest bedroom plus another bedroom I'm making into a library or "quiet time". When I went looking for a new house up here in Iowa my priority list showed a sewing room at the top of the list. Everything else was secondary to me. I have my entire basement or just about for my sewing area. Have added a little kitchenette off to the side, added a sinke with large countertop in an alcove area, lots of plugs on separate circuits so I can have all my machines going at one time if I so desire, enlarged my cutting table from 3 x 4 to 4 x 8, added more cabinets for fabric and projects, added lots of pegboards up onto the walls for threads and tools and last but not least got a larger quilting system. It try to clean after finishing every project but sometimes it get away from me and I have to clean in between. Still its my area and if folks don't care for the mess, they don't have to venture down here..........:-) I still have fabrics in plastic 40 gal totes yet after 5 years.

Stitchnripper 01-24-2016 05:34 AM

We had that problem recently til we moved. Three bedroom house. Nice enough if no one had a hobby. I shared one bedroom with Mr. Stitchnripper - his computer and one of my sewing machines. The rest were packed into a closet with most of my fabric and accessories. It was a very unsatisfying way to sew because I could never find anything. The third bedroom was used often enough by guests (mostly family that we wanted to stay in the house) that I kept it livable. I didn't sew/quilt as much as I wanted because it was a chore to drag everything out of that big closet and find what I needed. So when we relocated, we went a little bigger, so we could have a guest room (guests coming in a couple weeks for a week, yay) a computer room and a sewing room. I love it. But, with the move, and getting oriented I haven't sewn as much as I plan on. I lose my mojo a lot, but the other day made some squares and they are still on the floor and I don't have to move them. Haven't figured out the design wall yet. Probably the piece of insulation once I get my act together and get over to get one. At this point, no one stops me but myself. Mr. Stitchnripper leaves me to do what I need to do. He will help with heavy lifting if I need him.