Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Quilting Rules Do You Break? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-quilting-rules-do-you-break-t57233.html)

Mousie 08-02-2010 06:50 PM

If you could see the quilt I'm finishing up for my two year old grandbaby...if there are quilt police, I'm done for.
In my own defense, your honor, I didn't know what I know now, when I did that to that fabric!
She will love it to death though and then I will make her a bigger and much nicer quilt in a couple years. :XD:

BRenea 08-03-2010 09:49 AM

I break any rule if I find a way that works better for me. That's what makes the quilts I make mine!

Fiber Artist 08-04-2010 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by C.Cal Quilt Girl
Are there rules for this ??? :)

Can call it art and get away with all sorts of stuff !!! ;)

I agree!!!!!

tooMuchFabric 08-10-2010 04:25 AM

Ii probably don't keep any of the quilting rules religiously.

wesing 08-10-2010 06:18 PM

I run with scissors. Is that a quilting rule?

I only prewash if it smells.

I don't use leaders & enders.

I don't change my needle every project.

Wow, for an accountant I'm pretty radical...

Darren

Spudgm 08-10-2010 06:21 PM

What???? There are rules?

Lady Shivesa 08-10-2010 06:31 PM

I don't prewash fabrics.

I do iron instead of pressing most of the time. >_>

I don't try to get everything perfect - sometimes I see something is messed up, but shrug and say "what the heck, why not..." and continue on.

Pamela Artman 08-10-2010 06:54 PM

As a rule, I'm a rule breaker. (pun intended!) However, over the many, many years of quilting, I have developed my own set of rules that I rarely break. Having had a purple fabric bleed, I now wash all my fabrics as soon as I bring them home. After years of tugging, easing, stretching to get my seams to match, I've become obsessive about cutting accurately and sewing an accurate 1/4" seam and I've been so much happier with my quilting experiences and my quilts. I usually don't press, except with my finger nail, until my block is done or sometimes until the whole quilt is done if I'm in a hurry. I used to use my sewing scissors for everything, but being cheap has caused me to be more particular and now I don't have to keep buying new ones! I don't pin unless I'm sewing curves . Like everyone, I've heard horror stories about cuts from rotary cutters, but I had to learn for myself. I cut myself once when my open rotary cutter got buried under some fabric, and I tried and tried to remember to close it, but I often forgot, so I bought the kind that closes when you release it. LOVE IT! I don't believe in following color wheel color combinations. I put colors together that I love and that look good to me! I change patterns when I feel like it, or make up my own. And I have LOTS of UFOs. Way, way, way too many. I need to make a rule to finish what I start, but then, what fun would that be???

MegsAnn 08-11-2010 12:08 AM

My UFO count has exploded since I joined this site! Just the stuff from swaps alone... plus all the other stuff I started 'cause I found inspiration here... yeah. Waaay too many UFO's but I still want to start new projects!

quiltin mimi 08-11-2010 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Jim's Gem

Originally Posted by brenda21
I almost never wash fabric first. It just bothers me to put the pretty fabric in the washing machine :)

I don't either, unless it is flannel!

Me, neither!