Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What Is The Secret?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-secret-t157969.html)

Glassquilt 10-04-2011 11:57 AM

Practice, practice, practice. :(

lisalisa 10-04-2011 12:04 PM

and don't watch the needle, watch the edge of the foot. It's all too easy to drift if your eyes are always on the needle.

sunni 10-04-2011 12:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh boy, now I know why I stick to sewing other things LOL

Here is a picture of what I did.
I did have all the fabric the same whay when I cut, I did use the 1/4" foot that came with my machine and they are off as you can plainly see :(

robin

JUNEC 10-04-2011 12:14 PM

Scant 1/4" seams help - Check out your library for a beginning quilting book - they have lots of tips you would never think of on your own

charmpacksplus 10-04-2011 12:21 PM

Someone once told me to pin right past the seam to lock the seams in place then remove the pin as soon as you sew over the seam. Of course, everything else mentioned by those above helps too...accurate cutting, squaring, pressing, seam allowance, etc.

blueangel 10-04-2011 12:23 PM

Practice, make sure you sew and accurate seam.

Kehoeta 10-04-2011 12:23 PM

Looking at your photo...it reminds me of my first quilt...

So - one question... Once you cut the blocks, did you then stitch a row, then the next etc, and then did you connect the two rows?

I made one similar to yours - and didn't know about strip piecing, or creating the quilt in rows...

and - as everyone else says... that blasted 1/4 inch seam will get you every time...

Jennifer22206 10-04-2011 12:25 PM

I pin right past the seams. That sometimes helps.

Look at the fabric or presser foot, not the needle <- excellent one.

Press. It's just an up and down motion.

Oh - start and stop using the same machine. Different machines have different 1/4".

If you used different rules, like an Omnigrid and a June Taylor while cutting, that can throw it off too. (ask me how I learned that :))

sunni 10-04-2011 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Kehoeta
Looking at your photo...it reminds me of my first quilt...

So - one question... Once you cut the blocks, did you then stitch a row, then the next etc, and then did you connect the two rows?

I made one similar to yours - and didn't know about strip piecing, or creating the quilt in rows...

and - as everyone else says... that blasted 1/4 inch seam will get you every time...

Yep, I cut the blocks and then sewed all the blocks in row 1 together, then row 2 and so on. Then sewed the rows together. Did use the same ruler and the same machine.

Oh well, better luck next time, I guess :)

robin

mollymct 10-04-2011 05:57 PM

I'd like to add pin, pin, pin and then add a few more pins! I guess my first few projects the seams didn't have to line up so I am just learning that I still have quite a way to go in perfecting my quilt making technique. Thank goodness I'm not in a hurry to be perfect! My current quilt was quite off even though I knew my blocks were precisely the same size. I hadn't pinned enough and I think maybe my machine pulled one layer ever so slightly more than another? Anyway--tripling the pins made a difference! I don't enjoy that part, but the results are better!