Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size embroidery hoop? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-embroidery-hoop-t81898.html)

Linda1 12-11-2010 07:02 AM

Buy the one with the largest hoop you can afford. I didn't and I have regretted it ever since. I am now trying to save up so I can get a different machine with larger than 4x4 embroidery area.

featherweight 12-11-2010 07:05 AM

I am sure you will be dissappointed if you don't go for the largest hoop you can fit into your budget...Down the road you will be so glad that you have it.

shrabar 12-11-2010 07:25 AM

By all means go larger because you can put your smaller designs in the larger hoop. Merry Christmas...

mar32428 12-11-2010 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
My husband is looking to buy me an embroidery machine as a belated Christmas present. I think we have narrowed it down to the Brother PE770 and the Janome 300E. Both offer 5x7 hoops. My question is, do I really need the larger hoop or would a machine that does 4x4 be sufficient? I have never embroidered in my life but have always wanted to learn. I would like to embroider squares to make quilts and maybe embroider on dish hand towels. Thanks for any suggestions. :)

I started with a Bernina Deco that only did 4 x 4. Later got a Jenome that does the larger sizes. All the difference. The old story.......you can always make it smaller but you can't make it bigger.

Bonbonary 12-11-2010 08:14 AM

I agree...the larger the better. Even with the 5x7 hoop, I often wish I could go even bigger.

BTW - I recommend trying www.emblibrary.com for designs. They are inexpensive and have been better than the higher cost designs I have bought. You can buy only the one you want, not a huge package where you get more designs than you'll ever use. They also offer coupons and sales as well as some free designs each month.

featherweight 12-11-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bonbonary
I agree...the larger the better. Even with the 5x7 hoop, I often wish I could go even bigger.

BTW - I recommend trying www.emblibrary.com for designs. They are inexpensive and have been better than the higher cost designs I have bought. You can buy only the one you want, not a huge package where you get more designs than you'll ever use. They also offer coupons and sales as well as some free designs each month.

They are very good designs and the cheapest I have found.

marcias 12-11-2010 09:06 AM

Larger hoop. I have 5x7 capable and wish I had a larger one. Also, if you can afford one with usb capability, get that. My brother is great but when it goes out I plan on getting one with usb ability. I have pe design but an old, old one that won't work on this newer computer, so I rarely use it any more.

Marysewfun 12-11-2010 09:18 AM

I would recommend the 5x7 - You can get an additional embroidery hoop pack (4 hoops included) which includes a really small hoop, a 4x4 hoop, an additional 5x7 and a multi-positional 5x12 hoop for $100. I have the Brother SE350 with the 4x4 - and while I am keeping it, this year I also wanted and bought the PE770 (just delivered) because I wanted the 5x7 stitch capability - and I only had so much money to spend. You can use the 4x4 "hoop" for smaller projects - - but I would definitely recommend you get a machine with 5x7 stitch capabilities - then you aren't so limited. More and more online designs are geared for the 5x7 or even larger these days. (Just my 3 cents) :-)

Marysewfun

crazyforquilting 12-11-2010 09:36 AM

Definitely get the 5 x 7. You can do more things with it.

pieces 12-11-2010 10:54 AM

I use the 5X7 hoop the most for my quilt blocks.
Occasionally use the 4X4 hoop.