Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What size scraps do you save? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-size-scraps-do-you-save-t221194.html)

charsuewilson 05-10-2013 08:01 PM

I keep squares 1.5" and larger, or strips 1" and larger

AliKat 05-10-2013 08:19 PM

I try not to save anything under 1 1/2". Notice I wrote 'try.' Though since I've been saving the smallest scraps for pet beds at the Humane Society it is easier to dispose of the smaller pieces ... and those I really don't like.

icul8rg8r 05-10-2013 08:23 PM

I keep strips that are 1 1/2" or wider and with everything else, if I can get a 2 1/2" block or larger, I'll keep it. I read "ScrapTherapy" and liked her ideas!

mom-6 05-10-2013 08:47 PM

I throw away anything under 1/2" wide. Everything else will most likely get used sooner or later.

petthefabric 05-10-2013 09:01 PM

I've started doing art quilts with long narrow pieces; so strips >1" wide are saved. anything with 2sq" finished usable space gets saved. Anything smaller goes into the snippets/dog bed bag. Anything <fat 1/4 goes into the scrap box and it's not organized. Occasionally I'll sort out mus-goes and into the snippets/dog bed bag.

Pat625 05-10-2013 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by bluteddi (Post 6056894)
rarely does ANY fabric get tossed into the trash here.. scraps get cut into strips and squares,,,, then into the " scrap bin" snipets and trimmings go into anoth bin for pillows, toys stuffings etc..... but then I've been called miserly before.... :-)

Then I must be Scrooge!! I use strings as thin as 3/4 to 1 inchSquares saved are as small as 2 inches. Then anything smaller gets used for flling on dog beds..I even throw my thread scraps in the dog beds!! I can't remember the last time I threw out any fabric~

hevemi 05-10-2013 09:49 PM

I save squares 1,5 and over. Strings 1,5" and over go to bins organised by width, strings under this, some as narrow as 1/2", go to mixed box. Anything that can be used for string blocks and paper piecing is saved.

ckcowl 05-11-2013 01:52 AM

I do NOT toss scraps in the trash---there is enough in our landfills I save the sizes I will use (long narrow strips in a basket for rug hooking, and the sizes that I will use in projects- if they are a size I am not apt to use I toss them into a flat rate box to pass on to someone who will use them- there are plenty of people looking for donations- people use small (throwaways) for stuffing dog-beds for shelters, for stuffing pillows for homeless shelters; there are lots of uses- I donate a whole garbage bag of little pieces to a local scout troop every year- they use them to make (treasure boxes) 'they cover file boxes with take off lids with glue-and small fabric pieces - like making mosaics they make beautiful boxes!' there is always someone who would appreciate what you do not have use for- don't just throw away good fabric- even if (for your use) it is not 'big-enough'

sandy l 05-11-2013 02:22 AM

Any thing less than 1 1/2" wide goes into a scrap box. When it gets full, I take it to a friend that takes it to a guild meeting and it all gets used for something.

barri1 05-11-2013 02:51 AM

I'm laughing, as someone posted a question on how to make a dog bed with scraps as filler.. I PM'd her, and advised her to send me the scraps, and I would be happy to donate money to pay for the filling.. She wouldn't take my money for the filling. I sent her the money for postage. She sent me two 6lb boxes of the most perfect high quality fabric. She said she had more, and I told her to send one to a friend on the board, as a present from me.. I'm laughing at this, as I cut up a good part of her stuff for two swaps I'm in, and still have a bunch left. Another nice part to this is the variety of fabrics that I haven't seen around here.. Soooo.. If you don't want to deal with your scraps, no matter what the size is, ask if someone could use it..