Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What thread and needle do you use when you hand applique? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-thread-needle-do-you-use-when-you-hand-applique-t58174.html)

applique 08-07-2010 06:55 AM

For hand applique I use Mettler 60 weight. It has green writing on the spool, and sixe 8, 10, or 12 platinum needles. It works great even on batiks.

BABAREEBA 08-07-2010 10:54 AM

I am taking a needle turned applique class at my LQS and our instructor has us using #11 straw needles (Jeanna Kimball) and YLI silk thread (neutal colors).

Deb watkins 08-07-2010 11:05 AM

Hmmmmmm....I am the oddball here. I do needle turn and use Robinson-Anton Rayon and the 8 or 9 in betweens....

QuiltswithConvicts 08-07-2010 12:13 PM

I use a #9 Embroidery and whatever cotton thread I have that matches. I prefer Sulky or Metler - haven't tried all these new threads that have been coming to the forefront. Don't like Metler for machine as it's really linty, but it's fine for hand applique. I'd use silk if DH had a job. Don't really like Coats & Clark as it breaks too easily from being in a needle with a small eye.

Cathie_R 08-07-2010 12:27 PM

I use a #10 between needle as I like a short small needle and regular all purpose thread. I don't have any trouble hiding my stitches but I have been thinking of trying the silk thread but can't find it in this area. I've tried all the local quilt shops.

brushandthimble 08-07-2010 02:30 PM

I ordered all my silk thread on line, took me almost 2 years to get all the colors and that was at least 3 years ago so they may have new colors now. I would order 4 to 6 at a time. I LOVE this thread. I do have a collection of aurfil on bobbins, 3 of us would order a collection, wind it on bobbins and split the cost. I don't seem to use it much since I got the silk.
Always trying new needles.

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/sto...17&Categ_Id=36

grandma Janice 08-07-2010 03:04 PM

I use #8 betweens. and coats and clark hand quilting thread. I bought some #10 needles once but I can't get the thread through the eye of the needles. can someone tell me why I cant thread the #10s? I even tried to use one of those needle threaders, no luck.

pbreon 08-07-2010 08:13 PM

I also use the bottom line in the pale beige almost mocha color and I use it for the whole thing... it sissapears so well... I did use the silk, but I don't know if it was a bad spool but it kept snappin/breaking and I was threading my needle all the time... a veteran LAQ and hand appliquer turned me on the thebottom line thread,and I love it!!! the straw needles thin and long!!

Originally Posted by gollytwo

Originally Posted by craftybear
What thread do you use when you hand applique? What needle do you use?
Thanks everyone.

For hand applique I use Superior Threads' Bottom Line, usually pale green, never shows.
As to needles, I use whatever's handy: sharps or betweens.
No rules - I use the same thread and needles for piecing, applique and quilting.

brushandthimble 08-08-2010 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
I use #8 betweens. and coats and clark hand quilting thread. I bought some #10 needles once but I can't get the thread through the eye of the needles. can someone tell me why I cant thread the #10s? I even tried to use one of those needle threaders, no luck.

If you are trying to thread a #10 with hand quilting thread; it is to thick for the tiny needle eye.
What stitch do you applique with using hand quilting thread? I do needle turn and don't want to see my stitches, ie: thin thread that sinks into the tiny seam.

grandma Janice 08-08-2010 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by brushandthimble

Originally Posted by grandma Janice

If you are trying to thread a #10 with hand quilting thread; it is to thick for the tiny needle eye.
What stitch do you applique with using hand quilting thread? I do needle turn and don't want to see my stitches, ie: thin thread that sinks into the tiny seam.

I do a needle turn and I hide my stitches. I have never tried silk thread. Is it a thinner thread?