Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What would you do? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-would-you-do-t171359.html)

bnndr 12-09-2011 11:09 AM

I say don't give it to him as a Christmas present. Give it to him before or after Christmas as an "I love you quilt". Why make him feel bad, and who wouldn't want an I love you quilt!

KimS 12-09-2011 11:58 AM

I like the idea of giving it to him on New Year's day. That way he won't feel bad for not having anything for you at Christmas.

Terryl 12-09-2011 12:15 PM

If it were me, and the quilt is large enough, I would just put it on the bed, then when he says something, I would let him know it was made for him or with him in mind, if it's lap sized, I would just put it across the back of the sofa.

mistersister 12-09-2011 01:03 PM

Since no one else has suggested this, I will tell you what I do.
I buy myself a gift. It could be a few fat quarters, some toiletries, or other items that we can afford, and that I really do want. I wrap it, and when we exchange gifts, he gets the pleasure and surprise of seeing what I got and how pleased I am. Then, he opens his gift from me with a light heart!
This technique suits us, but may not work for everyone.

mmonohon 12-09-2011 01:08 PM

Making gifts is a great way to go. Broker a deal for handmade gifts. One year, we were low on money and dh made me a turtle cake. My kids had to tell me it was a turtle but it was a priceless green blob of cake crumbs, cut pieces of cake and messy green frosting. Still is the best gift he ever gave me.

ube quilting 12-09-2011 02:28 PM

As much as we like to think that this holiday is for giving, we still like to be thought of too, especially from someone as close as a spouse. Give him your gift with all the love you made it with and never anticipate a reciprical gift from anyone you give a gift to. Just love that you are able to do whatever you can to celebrate together.
peace

athomenow 12-09-2011 03:26 PM

Snuggle up on the couch with your hubby and the quilt. Say I made this for us so we could have more snuggle time together. No one would be mad about that. He'll love it!

coldquilter 12-09-2011 03:37 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel much better about giving a special gift than recieving so regardless, I would still give him the quilt as I think you will feel better that way.

SharonTheriault 12-09-2011 04:01 PM

I like Gramma Nancy's idea of giving it to him New Year's Eve and that it is for both of you for the new year.

happymrs 12-09-2011 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 4762552)
I would tell him "let's make a deal that we each will make something for the other". Because if he really does feel bad when he doesn't get you anything this gives him an opportunity to "make" you a gift - it could be something as simple as a home cooked meal; a complete auto detailing of your car; or something else that requires manual labor. One year my daughter gave me a coupon book that she made containing coupons for cleaning house, cooking a meal, making my favorite dessert, etc.

I was thinking along this line too! Let him come up with something he can do, or make for you! It's not always about money, lots of other ways to give a gift too....