Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What is your favorite iron? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/what-your-favorite-iron-t171338.html)

Cottontop 12-08-2011 06:30 AM

My Rowenta is magificent...she's been with me several years. It irons, I just guide it, no effort on my part.

aborning 12-08-2011 06:38 AM

I have been sewing/quilting for 30 years and I recently bought a Sunbeam Turbo Steam Master Professional iron from WalMart. My friend had one and told me how much she loved it. I bought it and it is the best iron I have ever had. I bought it at WalMart and it only cost approx. $29. Love, love, love it!!

auntpiggylpn 12-08-2011 07:33 AM

I have a Rowenta and I am pleased with it. It does call for distilled water and I know if anyone is like me, they don't always use it in their iron. This is generally the reason the irons start leaking. I have dropped mine a couple of times (or it's been pulled off the ironing board by a beloved furbaby) and I cringe each time. But it fires right up with no leaks. I really wanted an Oliso but I just couldn't justify the cost.

AnitaSt 12-08-2011 08:05 AM

I have a dry iron I ordered from Vermont Country Store for about $30. It gets really hot, does not have auto-shutoff and has a solid stainless sole plate. I like it a lot but when I posted about it a few months back, there were both positive and negative reviews from other QB members. I think my post was entitled "Have you seen this iron?" if you want to look at the comments. I love this dry iron....no holes on the sole plate to catch little corners; no leaking or spitting; it stays on and stays hot. Downsides: it's made in China; have to remember to shut it off and unplug it. If I need steam, I just spray a little water on the fabric or on a pressing cloth.

Anna O 12-08-2011 08:08 AM

I have had so many irons I could supply a shop. Anyway, I decided price is not to be considered. Features are what I focus on. I don't like the dial under the handle, so it has to be up-top. And I don't like too many steam holes because seam allowances get "stuck" in them when pressing. And, lastly, I prefer a lighter weight iron so my arm doesn't tire. Good luck.

RonieM 12-08-2011 08:10 AM

I have two Rowenta's and love them both. One did start to leek but DH took it apart and found a crack in the seal. He put a dob of silicone in there and it has been working just fine for years. The other Rowenta I have never had any problems with at all. I have had both of these Iron's for about 9 years.

sewmary 12-08-2011 02:48 PM

Have had expensive irons - hated every one of them, especially that darn auto-shut off - takes me more than 10 minutes between ironings! I bught two brand new old fashioned Black & Decker steam irons on eBay and love them (bought the one for a spare after I liked the first). They were less that $20 with shipping. And get HOT. And don't shut off until you want them to! And I do use steam.

Quilty-Louise 12-08-2011 03:03 PM

My all time favorite iron is the:
[h=1]Conair DPP3000 1500 Watt Digital Steam Iron[/h]It is a "crafters iron which you can disable the auto shut-off
feature.
The only BAD thing about the iron I do not like is it always
"beeps"
But I totally love the digital feature I have seen OTHER so-called
digital irons and they are not like this one.

Sadly though they do not make the iron anymore. So now I
"preserve" my iron by only using it for "special" sewing projects.

Here is the Amazon info about the iron (what little they list).

http://www.amazon.com/Conair-DPP3000.../dp/B00063QML2

Originally Posted by annthreecats (Post 4761933)
I have a Rowenta Pro that I bought over 5 years ago. It works great. Gets really hot, so I'm happy. I would love one of the dry irons as well from the Vermont country Store..

ckcowl 12-08-2011 04:16 PM

i love my little old $20 black & decker- it stays hot- does not weigh a ton- it has lasted much longer than any of the expensive ones i ve tried over the years.

CajunQuilter2 12-08-2011 04:28 PM

I have to say I really like my Olisio.....my friend bought one 5 years ago and she just had to replace it about 5 months ago. I just bought one as well 5 months ago and I really do like it. Good luck deciding