Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   What's the weirdest place you've gotten an idea for a quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/whats-weirdest-place-youve-gotten-idea-quilt-t11453.html)

Bevanger 09-21-2008 07:01 AM

Stading in line at Walmart..... I was staring at the guy in front of me thinking how his shirt would be beautiful as a quilt. (He was wearing a Hawaiin shirt with Parrots)

humbird 09-21-2008 08:15 AM

Looking at gift wrap.

Moonpi 09-21-2008 08:33 AM

A close encounter with lightning. It seemed to be moving in both directions at once. I never got it executed to my satisfaction, but I tried. Lots of my quilts have been inspired from nature.

Another one changed in mid-stream to become the "Nun's ghost Quilt". I was living in a converted Catholic school/nunnery and was using a long hallway to pin together and square up the three sections of the quilt top. A fire door next to where I was working opened up, a nun came in and said "Bless you, that is lovely." and went down the hall. I took the pins out of my mouth to reply, turned around in time to see her go THROUGH the unopened door!

So on the quilt, she is wandering around in the sky layers.

Janstar 09-21-2008 10:02 AM

While I'm driving my golf greens mower, looking at the blue sky with white fluffy clouds and of course all that green grass. What an inspiration that is. Sun sets and sun rises also get the old creative juices flowing.

ChristineD 09-21-2008 01:10 PM

Sitting in Ruby Tuesday's Resturant the other day. They have a beautiful assortment of Tiffany lighting overhead. Thought about stained glass patterns.

Boston1954 09-21-2008 01:51 PM

I was watching a Mel Brooks movie (Young Frankenstein) and noticed the pattern of the window glass, when Gene Wilder was playing darts and one went through the window.

A movie is not a place, I know, but the shape appealed to me. Still have not acted on it yet, though. It requires Y seams.

By the way, that was a fun question. Have any more?
Anne

henryparrish76 09-21-2008 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
A close encounter with lightning. It seemed to be moving in both directions at once. I never got it executed to my satisfaction, but I tried. Lots of my quilts have been inspired from nature.

Another one changed in mid-stream to become the "Nun's ghost Quilt". I was living in a converted Catholic school/nunnery and was using a long hallway to pin together and square up the three sections of the quilt top. A fire door next to where I was working opened up, a nun came in and said "Bless you, that is lovely." and went down the hall. I took the pins out of my mouth to reply, turned around in time to see her go THROUGH the unopened door!

So on the quilt, she is wandering around in the sky layers.

Wow, so you have seen a ghost too huh? So have I, well several actually. But that's another story for another day as my grandma says.

Moonpi 09-21-2008 03:03 PM

Henry, I grew up in a haunted house, and the ghosties always want to come out and play when I'm around. The house in Apex had a couple, too. Maybe for Halloween we should have a "Ghost Story" chat!

henryparrish76 09-21-2008 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Moonpi
Henry, I grew up in a haunted house, and the ghosties always want to come out and play when I'm around. The house in Apex had a couple, too. Maybe for Halloween we should have a "Ghost Story" chat!

Cool. :) We should Moon! :thumbup:

zyxquilts 09-21-2008 09:19 PM

hmmmm, the tile pattern on the wall of a fast-food place. Another was the pattern on my boss's tie. Neither one has yet made it past the sketch phase. :wink: