Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When is something considered "Vintage"? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-something-considered-%22vintage%22-t60005.html)

ranger 08-18-2010 06:29 AM

I've always thought of vintage as being of a certain period. For instance, a thing could be vintage 70s or something could be an 80s vintage . The word vintage used alone seems odd to me. But that's just me.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-18-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by ranger
I've always thought of vintage as being of a certain period. For instance, a thing could be vintage 70s or something could be an 80s vintage . The word vintage used alone seems odd to me. But that's just me.

AAhh, I see what you mean. Like vintage wine is a certain period. That does make sense.

BellaBoo 08-18-2010 06:32 AM

Add the word vintage or antique and the price goes up. Use the words used or old and it won't sell. LOL

sueisallaboutquilts 08-18-2010 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Add the word vintage or antique and the price goes up. Use the words used or old and it won't sell. LOL

hahahahaha So true!!!!!!!! :D

piepatch 08-18-2010 06:54 AM

I have seen "vintage" articles for sale in antique stores, thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, e-bay, and classifieds etc., and the age of the goods that are offered is all over the board. In today's world, "vintage" has become anywhere from the 1940's and 50s, and beyond, up through the 1980's. It seems to me that "antique" and "vintage" are now considered much farther apart than they once were.

piepatch 08-18-2010 07:29 AM

When I inquired as to whether my 25 year old quilt blocks were vintage, I neglected to say they are made from small print "calico" fabric as it was once known. Now, I sometimes see all cotton quilt fabric in general advertised as "calico", regardless of the design, but I know Calico fabric as something different. I think this qualifies me as both "antique" and "vintage"! :)

LindaR 08-18-2010 07:59 AM

I am definately "vintage" x 2

RuthysRaggs 08-18-2010 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by RuthysRaggs
I think they are considered "Retro" at 25 years old.

Antique is generally anything 100 years or older.
Vintage is something representative of a period long past. Retro, similarly, is something from an earlier time that has been revived.

Since so many of the old quilting styles, patterns and fabrics have been revived and reproduced, to be considered truly vintage or antique, they would have to be from that period and not reproduction. However it can still be considered Retro, even if it is truly a vintage piece from any era, if it's been revived.

I have dealt in antiques, this is something that I've learned along the way. Thought I'd share.

justwannaquilt 08-18-2010 09:08 AM

It depends on what you are talking about. A car can be considered vintage at 25 years, wine not till 75 or 100 years, clothing (where I would put fabric) is considered vintage after 30 years!

MegsAnn 08-18-2010 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by LindaR
I am definately "vintage" x 2

And I'm retro at 26! :)