Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   When you sew your binding on... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/when-you-sew-your-binding-t197488.html)

karate lady 08-15-2012 11:39 AM

and the bindings are always full. sorry for the disjointed posting. been working in the flowers and am a bit tired. smile

Olivia's Grammy 08-15-2012 11:57 AM

Am I the only one that uses 3" binding? I sew down about 8" with maybe a 3/8" SA. I wrap the binding around to see if it's going to cover. If it is too wide I adjust my needle so I can end up with the right amount for both sides. Sometimes I sew mine down by machine and sometimes I like to hand sew it. Usually small projects I sew down by hand and use only 2 1/2/ wide binding.

maxo 08-15-2012 04:48 PM

I do it the Sharon Schamler does; I use 2 1/4" and cut the binding the length of your fabric, this makes for a more stable and straight binding (and border fabrics too) then I will take small drop of Elmer's School (washable) glue and iron it down doing one side at a time and stitch it down, doing this all around the quilt. You will have even binding and it will not wave or pucker on you. Yu also do not need a walking foot and I stitch it with the 1/4".
Go to you tube and check out her "Angel binding method" it makes dooing binding so much easier!

CajunQuilter2 08-15-2012 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Missus Fear (Post 5438034)
I sew my binding to the front and also use the edge of the walking foot. I hand stitch to the back for I cannot sew a straight line :)

Glad to know I am not the only one out there who can not sew a straight line. :D

debbieoh 08-15-2012 06:12 PM

1/4 for me

wildyard 08-15-2012 06:43 PM

I sew the binding to the back using my 1/4" foot as the guide; then turn it to the front and sew the edge with a straight seam or a decorative stitch. With a straight seam, on the back it often looks as if I had sewn an outline stitch in the border along the binding to match the outline stitch I do on the other side of the binding. I cut my binding strip to 2.5" as so many of you do.

Dottie Bug 08-15-2012 07:47 PM

I do the Sharon S. method, "it works for me' ,come's out right everytime. DottieBug

Silver Needle 08-16-2012 01:44 AM

I also like Sharon's method. I always trim after attaching the binding that way my walking foot is completely supported. If I have way too much extra I will cut the majority of it away and do a finish trim after attaching the binding. And I can't say enough good things about using Wonder Clips instead of pins. I was never happy with the results of my attempts at machine finished binding til I tried them. I still prefer hand finished binding. I use a ladder stitch with 1/8 to 1/4 inch stitch length. It's invisible and stands up to machine washing.

Donnamarie 08-16-2012 04:35 AM

Depends on the size of your binding. I usually cut 2 1/2" for large quilts and 2 1/4" for small wall hangings. You are supposed to sew 1/3 of the way in from the raw edge. Just experiment a little. Good luck!

burchquilts 08-17-2012 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by kristakz (Post 5438003)
I cut mine 2 1/2" wide. And sew with a "wide 1/4" seam". That means (to me) that rather than a scant seam, I go about the same distance the other way so I have slightly more than 1/4" seam in the end. probalby almost 3/8, now that I think about my trimming activity (I attach binding, then trim).

That's how I do mine, too. Well, I trim first but the rest is like I do it. I'm sorry you don't like to bind... it's one of my favorite parts of making a quilt! I find it relaxing somehow... I know -- I'm weird!