Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   where can I buy thin vellum for PP? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/where-can-i-buy-thin-vellum-pp-t98505.html)

3TreeFrog 02-11-2011 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by inemmausinn
I'm about to start a huge paper piecing project and have been doing some research. Vellum is a great tool. So were do I get it. Scrapbooking uses thick vellum and I need thin. Do I go to the quilt store, craft store or office supply?

I would have to suggest an office supply store, here in Canada it comes in a roll.

TreeFrog

catrancher 02-11-2011 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I just buy a packet of paper by CarolDoak, at my local quilt shop 100 sheets for about $9.00 Works for me.

I use cheap copy paper. Carol Doak's paper won't feed through my HP Laserjet printer unless I feed each piece individually. Also, it tears easily.

Wunder-Mar 02-11-2011 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I just buy a packet of paper by CarolDoak, at my local quilt shop 100 sheets for about $9.00 Works for me.

After using everything else, Carol's paper is the only thing I use now.

Jagsd3 02-11-2011 08:40 AM

I purchase Helix Technical Vellum 25% Rag at Office Max and have found it at Office depot also. It is 25% cotton rag tracing vellum. It is a thinnner piece (regular vellum is too thick for me too)and comes in a 50 sheet pad 8 1/2 x 11" sheets I believe around $6.00. It goes thru my printer perfectly, and tears wonderfully!
I have used the newsprint, though have to tape it to another piece of paper when printing on it and it doesn't tear quite as clear and as nice and still do use it at times but find this vellum to be easier to use.
I use this vellum, quite often and tears nicely for PPing, I use a size 14 needle and a 1.8 stitch length.
I have also used lighter copy paper, but find it often for me it will tear stitches out when removing no matter which size needle or thread stitch length.

I find it in the drafting section.

sueisallaboutquilts 02-11-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by RUSewing

Originally Posted by pocoellie
Personally, I just buy the cheapest copy paper I can find, it's a lot cheaper than vellum.

Same here. (and i've also done some big PP projects - really enjoy it. )

Yes, that's a very inexpensive way and works great! :D

ritaquilts 02-11-2011 08:55 AM

Try Carol Doak's website. She is the queen of paper piecing and sells a paper just for that, both 8 1/2 x 11 and 9 x 14.

Jagsd3 02-11-2011 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by Michellesews
Years ago I purchased a package of 500 sheets of Onion Skin paper, I think it was about $25.00. I still have half of it left, but you can see through it easily and it tears nicely. I will probably bite the bullet and buy another package when I need it. Just Google Onion Skin Paper and you should get the website.
Michelle G. in El Paso

Does it run thru the printer well?

lbc 02-11-2011 09:04 AM

Amazon.com carries Carol Doak's Foundation Paper for 7.14 for 100 8 1/2 by 11 sheets.

ritaquilts 02-11-2011 09:05 AM

Sweet baby, Rachael.

Lyncat 02-11-2011 09:10 AM

I like tracing paper. sometimes I get lucky and find a pad of it at the thrift store!