Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   White on white fabric, most of the on white is plastic stuff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/white-white-fabric-most-white-plastic-stuff-t295172.html)

elly66 03-01-2018 09:13 AM

Thanks for the information. While I rarely use white on white, I'm not surprised really. Years ago I hand dyed a white on white and I must say that's what it looked like afterwards. There's other fabrics I've noticed the design seems to "sit" on top when I've felt it besides tone on tones.

Faintly Artistic 03-01-2018 09:45 AM

I have noticed the same thing. I had one piece I had to get rid of as it shrank or warped every time i ironed it. Drove me crazy and not fun to hand quilt through either.

Irishrose2 03-01-2018 10:30 AM

I have used a lot of white on white, even a white on pink, plus a gray on black, and I've never had any of the problems mentioned. I prefer the depth it gives to a quilt rather than a solid. I do not hand quilt.

QuiltNama 03-01-2018 11:25 AM

I have used white on white for at least 25 years and never had any problems with it, but I do make sure that it is a quality fabric I buy. If the printing looks like it is laying on top, it probably is, so pass it up. Most of our fabrics are printed as is the wow, so we must be careful in our choices.

Onebyone 03-01-2018 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 (Post 8013742)
I have used a lot of white on white, even a white on pink, plus a gray on black, and I've never had any of the problems mentioned. I prefer the depth it gives to a quilt rather than a solid. I do not hand quilt.

You probably used the real fabric tone on tone .

QuiltingHaven 03-01-2018 11:57 AM

I use this all the time, however!!!! I always put the actual fabric coating turned over and it lays on the batting. I have had no problems with it. But, when I saw that the flowers/strips/stars/circles.....whatever, I turned the fabric over and have had no problems with it now. I can see that it could be scratched or wiped off if it was put on the outside so that is how I create that white on white. So far, no problems yet.

Libster 03-01-2018 12:20 PM

I've been using wow for years and I've never had a problem with it. I do buy good quality fabric and check for thickness before I buy it. I machine quilt. My DD washes her lap quilt every few weeks and hers is at least 10 years old and still looking good. I've never had the print peel off on anything I've done.
Could it possibly be the detergent or water temperature that you're using? Just a stab in the dark here.....I'm just guessing. If mine peeled off, I would be very upset. I think I would go back to the place I purchased it for some answers.

grammasharon 03-01-2018 02:52 PM

Great idea, will try it with some I have on hand.

Originally Posted by QuiltingHaven (Post 8013807)
I use this all the time, however!!!! I always put the actual fabric coating turned over and it lays on the batting. I have had no problems with it. But, when I saw that the flowers/strips/stars/circles.....whatever, I turned the fabric over and have had no problems with it now. I can see that it could be scratched or wiped off if it was put on the outside so that is how I create that white on white. So far, no problems yet.

FGlinda 03-01-2018 03:19 PM

Be careful what you buy. I've haven't had any trouble with white on white except for one piece. When I ironed it the white on white disappeared!!

Onebyone 03-01-2018 04:54 PM

The problem is in the quilting. The fabric may cause lots of thread breaks.