Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Who does not use quilt basting spray and why not? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/who-does-not-use-quilt-basting-spray-why-not-t29453.html)

Quiltgranny 12-01-2009 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewfunquilts
I have used both the pins and spray...depends on the project. I have used the spray ever since Sullivan's first came out with it, and have used all diff. kinds. It also depends on what kind of batting you use, as to how good it holds. I like using spray and use the small pins with the colored plastic clip-on tops on them. Then you can use the Quik Qlip tool and it doesn't hurt your fingers.

Haven't tried the Aqua Net yet, but have heard it works well.

I also use the plastic covered pins and the Qwik Klip. What a blessing for those of us with arthritis or diminished hand strength! :thumbup:

BellaBoo 12-01-2009 07:59 AM

I use it for small quilts. It doesn't work for me on a big quilts. By the time I get everything smooth I could have hand basted. I bought a no baste quilt frame and I hand baste my quilts on that for machine quilting. It's the best way I've found for me.

wishiwerequilting 12-01-2009 08:31 AM

I use 505 basting spray all the time and Love it. I also use Mary Ellen's best press starch on my fabrics when i quilt, and i have NO problem with the 505 working on starched fabrics.
The cans do feel "light" but they will do a queen size quilt and a few smaller ones. if used properly. You want a light coating of the spray on the quilt backing and then on the batting before adding the quilt top. It's hard to describe the amount of spray on there, but it is a light mist. perhaps similar to applying hairspray to your hair. Quick light spray.
No harm to fabrics, no odor, no need to have ventilation with this product.
We have a tutorial on our blog, which you can link to from the home page of our web site.
The successful use of the spray has a lot to do with how you prep your backing. it has to be smooth but not stretched.
The reason to use it rather than pinning is that it is very fast. Twin sized quilt takes maybe 10 or 15 minutes at the most and it is easy on the hands and back. Nothing to move or watch out for when machine quilting.
All those plusses - however, if you live in a humid climate and you are not air conditioned in the summer, the adhesive may release if you are working on something over a long period of time. i am a domestic machine quilter, and i spray and quilt and bind in a matter of days most of the time, so my quilts do not sit around to absorb humidity.
Lisa
Quilter's Paradise NY
www.quiltersparadiseonline.com

canuckninepatch 12-01-2009 08:58 AM

This sounds very interesting - I haven't quite visualized it yet - anything more you can add to your explanation might help to gel it in my mind a bit more. But I really would like to try this.

wishiwerequilting 12-01-2009 09:03 AM

can you go to the blog and read through the tutorial?
it was posted in october "how do I baste my quilt <a href="http://quiltersparadisecafe.blogspot...-how-do-i.html">basting</a>

wishiwerequilting 12-01-2009 09:06 AM

sorry, that link does not work properly. just go to www.quiltersparadisecafe.blogspot.com and scroll down to the october 2009 entries where you will see the spray basting tutorial, and then if you have any questions you can post directly on that blog, or email me privately, or post here.
thanks,
lisa

heidikins 12-01-2009 09:28 AM

I admire those of you who use basting spray all the time. I make big quilts and thought if this spray stuff would work I would be in hog heaven. So I bought a can of 505 and couldn't wait to get to it. I really tried to only lightly spray one half of the back then lay the batting down, lightly spray the batting and gently put the top over. Looked good! Did the same with the other side. Looked really good! Then I found over-spray on the table, my chair, my machine, the floor, my shoes (!) and my ironing board. Then the stupid quilt shifted! That was it for me. I just have to live with the fact that I am not skillful in the art of spray basting (but I can slam-dunk a piece of furnature in nothing flat with a can of RustOleum). So I am back to pinning the snot out of my quilts. It may take more time but I don't have to spend time trying to clean up after myself.

wishiwerequilting 12-01-2009 09:51 AM

I'm thinking this is a technique issue.
I clamp my backing to my dining room table using those binder clips you buy at a stationery store.
the backing is taught, no wrinkles, but not stretched. you just want it tight enough so you can't pinch it off the table.
when you spray, start at the edge of the quilt and spray toward the center and walk very quickly around the table spraying only directly in front of you and toward the center of the quilt. don't go spraying past the center.
You will go entirely around the table very quickly. Then place the batting.
repeat the process with spraying the batting and then smooth your quilt top.
if the quilt is larger than the table, then slide the entire quilt to once side and do what ever is left over that has not yet been sprayed, and then repeat with the opposite side.
the last step is to secure your edges. do this with small safety pins, or a martelli clipper or whatever you have.
I spray baste with 505 all the time and never have over spray using this method, and my quilts do not move and i don't have puckers.
the spray can should be about 12 inches from your quilt (no more). if you follow those steps you will not have any problems. and you will be a happy, ready to quilt so quick camper! :-D
there are pictures on the blog at Quilter's Paradise and very detailed instructions, so i hope you will visit and print them out. email me or post there with questions so all can see.
http://quiltersparadisecafe.blogspot...-how-do-i.html
hopefully the link will work this time!
Lisa

canuckninepatch 12-01-2009 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Dkm
I hope this doesn't end up sounding complicated because it isn't. It just takes some effort and getting all things lined up. A good item to test this on would be a wall hanging. I have made 9 lap quilts using this method and have never used a pin.

First, I cut some strips about 2" wide and then divide that into 3" cuts(appx). I always leave a good amount on sides and top of backing and batting. (Just in case I need to adjust some).
Iron the back and make sure there are no wrinkles.
Starting at the top of the backing place cut strips in random spots. You can put the wonder under on the entire backing (cut strips)and then add the batting. Iron down. Next put cut strips on the batting and then add the quilt top. Iron down. If this isn't really clear enough please email me again.

I guess I'm too much of a visual person, because I can't quite visualize this. Any additional info. would be helpful. Thanks.

canuckninepatch 12-01-2009 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by wishiwerequilting
sorry, that link does not work properly. just go to www.quiltersparadisecafe.blogspot.com and scroll down to the october 2009 entries where you will see the spray basting tutorial, and then if you have any questions you can post directly on that blog, or email me privately, or post here.
thanks,
lisa

Excellent explanation. I'm saving this for future reference. I would also like to get more info. on using the Wonder Under from the lady who does that.