Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why am I doing this? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-am-i-doing-t211377.html)

brenwalt 01-20-2013 07:09 AM

I like the crisp feel to the unwashed fabric. I only prewash red fabric if I suspect it will bleed. I've made lots of quilts and for all practical purposes, I don't prewash at all!!

d.rickman 01-20-2013 07:15 AM

I have to agree with Dodie and Crashnquilt. I also have this problem, and was told by the lady that manages the LQS many quilters have allergic reactions to fabrics, and the reason is the formaldehyde used in the process. The darker fabrics seem to be the ones that bother me the most, so those I do prewash. It only started to bother me when I was working on a black wallhanging, the pieces were so intricate that I had to work sitting on the floor and having the fabric on the coffee table right under my nose, and I had the lighting also close at hand, which intensified the chemicals, the fumes got under my glasses, once I started to rub my eyes, my nose was running like a tap, then I realised something was wrong. I saw my doctor, and he advised that this is common amongst sewers, and I should prewash the fabrics. I find just handling the fabric, and touching my eyes will cause a reaction if not prewashed, now I wear gloves when at the fabric store. I have leather furniture and keep sheep skins on the ones I use, and also utilize a water bed for sleeping. When we have to stay in hotels/motels we take our own bedding.

karenpatrick 01-20-2013 07:27 AM

I only pre-wash if I'm unsure of a fabric. The one thing I always do is to toss my batting in the dyer with a wet hand towel on the highest setting to get the wrinkles out. I've never had a fabric fade and cause any damage to a quilt nor have I had any quilt shrink in an unacceptable way. And I only buy quality fabric and always on sale. I hope this didn't sound too preachy.

KathyE 01-20-2013 07:58 AM

I agree with Annaquilts. I quit washing fabric unless I really think I will have a problem.

SheriR 01-20-2013 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by katesnanna (Post 5798907)
This subject has been discussed many times, here and elsewhere. I think we all need to accept there is no wrong or right way, just different ways. Do whichever suits you.

What she said... I've asked many QS owners what they suggest. I've been told washing is not necessary these days. I did use a pink yesterday, actually. From my DMIL's old stash. I thought I had washed all her fabrics just to get them clean. This pink bleed into my ironing board when pressing..... I washed it all with color catchers. Those are really awesome. They came out pink pink pink. But the pieces I'd already sewn did not catch a bit of pink. So.... I wash when I question bleeding. Then wash my finished project w/color catchers. :D

grannygee56 01-20-2013 01:40 PM

I always wash fabrics. I buy fabric in a local fabric shop, at JoAnn's, at Wal-mart, at garage sales, at the thrift store etc. Since I am sure there could be a big difference in quality, this levels the field some. Also, I iron the fabric after drying, sometimes with a light spray of starch. Then when the mood strikes me, I am ready to sort through my stash and go to it.

cr12cats 01-20-2013 06:54 PM

I always wash my fabrics to get all dye that bleeds but also the chemicals they use make me itch and arms break out in a rash. I also have to wash clothing after buying them cause where ever the clothing come in contact with my skin also breaks out.

purplefiend 01-20-2013 08:09 PM

I wash all my fabrics due to allergies, the fabric usually smells of perfume and whatever is used to manufacture it. I have to wash new clothing for the same reasons.

Sandi 01-21-2013 08:02 AM

I used to wash all my fabrics when I bought them but now I just wash flannel, reds or materials I am suspicious will shrink. After reading about the formaldehyde, I'm thinking I should wash all the fabrics again. I've talked with LQS owners and other more seasoned quilters and the answer is varied.

IBQUILTIN 01-22-2013 08:53 AM

The only fabrics I was before quilting are the ones I know are imported and have to be fumigated before entry to the country. I have sensitive skin and don't want to itch.