Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-do-i-end-up-more-fabric-squares-triangles-blocks-than-i-need-t228095.html)

Painiacs 08-18-2013 10:32 PM

I agree with lori s! I take the extras - i swap them, put together a sampler type quilt to donate!

Jim 08-18-2013 11:01 PM

I do the same thing but rather err on the side of caution than to be searching for miles trying to find that one quarter yard more

Taughtby Grandma 08-19-2013 01:38 PM

I do that all the time. One day I'm going to adjust them all to the same size blocks and make a sampler quilt.

Nilla 08-19-2013 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by maviskw (Post 6242212)
No such thing as colors not coordinating. Just put a "frame" around each block. Then add white or black sashing (or any neutral color you wish), and that will bring everything together. (Corner stones to bring in more colors?) Arrange the blocks so that the colors next to each other sort of agree.

If the blocks are different sizes, the frames are made wider as needed to make them all the same size. Some smaller blocks might even get two frames (or three). How about tiny piano keys on the smallest blocks. The possibilities are endless.

You're probably right. Maybe once I finish all the other projects floating around in my head, I'll pull a bunch out and figure out a way to make a sampler. I like your idea of adding frames or other touches with different fabrics to make them the same sizes. I'd love to get all these extra parts and pieces out of storage once and for all. Sometimes a fresh perspective is just what I need to get re-motivated!

hevemi 08-19-2013 09:16 PM

Maybe you are like me: When I'm in a fabric shop I always offer a home for Homeless Fabrics.

justflyingin 08-20-2013 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 6238046)
use the extra blocks or fabric as part of the backing. Or, as others have suggested, do a scrappy quilt or two or three...or ten!

Exactly. Your situation is normal for many of us. I use them up regularly in orphan block quilts, scrappy quilts, or crazy squares put together with a sashing that ties it all together.

SusanSusan33 08-20-2013 07:46 AM

I have the same non-problem problem- too much fabric leftover for future scrap quilts!! :)

maminstl 08-20-2013 10:24 AM

I always have leftovers because I rarely know exactly what I'm going to make when I buy fabric, so always have scraps - or more - to play with. I often make extra blocks because usually I end up with one or two that are "off" and that gives me the opportunity to set those aside and use the good ones. These leftovers are stash to me, as I don't really buy much fabric unless I have an idea brewing. I always think I'll do something with the leftover blocks, but at this point, they just sit around.

pegquilter8 08-20-2013 12:56 PM

NO! You are not a hoarder. You are saving time by making 2 quilts at once. Very Smart:thumbup: