Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why quilters like me should never buy kits! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-quilters-like-me-should-never-buy-kits-t100886.html)

barbsmith 02-19-2011 10:38 AM

I like your pattern best. The colors are great!

np3 02-19-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne Fauss
How did that happen? Did you have instructions that were hard to understand, therefore making what you could? I really like your quilt. Did a great job. I have trouble following instr. and I have a feeling mine wouldn't turn out like the picture either. That's one reason why I hate to try something difficult. I have only done 3 quilts and am on #4.
You're pleased with your quilt I hope?

I'm very pleased with the result. The instructions were fine. There wasn't enough fabric included with the kit. It was cut by the store. It called for a dessert roll (5 inches wide pre-cuts) and it wasn't included. But I loved the colors, so I just started making blocks!

np3 02-19-2011 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by stitcher4
You did a geat job. Better than the pattern. Nancy P. By the way I go by Nancy P. too.

Nice to meet another Nancy P!

np3 02-19-2011 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by mcar
The quilt Kit photo shows a quilt that is quite show-offy ---Yes i can do flying geese, yes I can do stars, yes I can do coins...Rather a graduation piece. But yours too is quite special....9 patch on point with setting triangles. Good for you for turning what headed for disaster into a success.

I was originally drawn to the coins, geese and stars. But when there wasn't enough fabric, it just seemed like "too much" to me. So I just did what I like!

pdcakm 02-19-2011 11:17 AM

i usually like to buy kits based on the fabrics, not the pattern. then i can use the fabric anyway i want. just like you did. it gives me a great group of fabrics to start with. you did perfect.

butterflies5518 02-19-2011 01:02 PM

I don't buy kits, but love the way yours evolved!

Flying_V_Goddess 02-19-2011 01:05 PM

LMAO. That funny how different it is from the original pattern! But it looks fantastic!

blossom808 02-19-2011 01:06 PM

I think it looks great. Nothing looks out of place. YOU did a great job. BE Proud.. you should be..

Maria C 02-19-2011 01:38 PM

I like what you achieved but i am also like that. I love choosing colours and fabrics myself and I like to tweak here and there. I will use basic patterns to go from. I shocked my friends recently by getting a block of the month quilt complete with fabric. A huge challenge for me to do but i do really like this pattern and it has some redwork embroidery on it also so I am being disciplined with this one. Luckily there is a place for everyone in this wonderful world of quilting.

happymrs 02-19-2011 01:39 PM

Hey, you put the fabric to good use & made a quilt! Good for you! Who cares what pattern you ended up using, right! Nice quilt!