Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Why you should buy fabric when you see it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/why-you-should-buy-fabric-when-you-see-t46649.html)

reach for the stars 2 05-21-2010 05:28 PM

If I can' I but it because It won't be there long. They usually make on run and that's it.When it's gone it's gone.

bearisgray 05-21-2010 05:37 PM

Seems like some fabric lines have shorter runs than others.

Alexander Henry comes to mind.

littlehud 05-21-2010 06:47 PM

When I see something I love it buy it. Someday it will be a quilt.

Rachelcb80 05-21-2010 06:51 PM

I have troubles with this. I know a fabric line won't be around but for one, maybe two seasons and then it's gone. So if I love it I know I should buy it, but I can never decide how much I'm supposed to buy when I have no project in mind. I'm sure as I become a more experienced quilter I will understand what I typically need for different projects. I just don't have that knowledge yet! :)

bearisgray 05-21-2010 06:57 PM

It doesn't matter how much you buy or how experienced you are -

One buys too much of something one doesn't need and not enough of one that one wants to use sometime in the future.

fireworkslover 05-21-2010 07:16 PM

Twice now, I've been able to find a fabric online somewhere and been able to order more for a project. This doesn't always work tho, especially if it's been 6 months since you bought it in the first place. Some fabrics have shorter lifespans than others.

sueisallaboutquilts 05-21-2010 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
It doesn't matter how much you buy or how experienced you are -

One buys too much of something one doesn't need and not enough of one that one wants to use sometime in the future.

Truer words were never spoken! :D :D :D

Born2Sew 05-21-2010 08:14 PM

In some ways I think fabric that one intends to make quilts from is more difficult to determine the amt. Now if I'm making a shirt for hubby, I know it will take at least 3 yrds of 45". If it's denim, and the price is great I'll take the whole bolt.

If I get good fabric for regular sewing, I can use the scraps for quilts...

Andy323 05-23-2010 01:43 AM

I, too, as a novice quilter have had this problem, just buying a little of something that I liked, with no particular plan for the fabric. What I have found is that when I find a pattern that I would like to stitch, I never have enough of the required fabric amounts of any of the fabrics. What I have learned to do, is if I really like it, I purchase 2 1/2 to 3 yards so that it can be used in a future quilt. (although all of those 1/4 and half yard pieces do work into a scrap quilt today...so all is not lost! I live and learn! Andy

MISHNJIM 05-23-2010 03:57 AM

I'm a Batik kind of gal and yesterday while I was in my quilting class the teacher told us they had Batik's on sale and just got 6 new fabrics in. She was getting some cut for her and I told her to have them cut me some too...without looking I might add. If it's Batik and on sale...I'm in!!! And the fabric was gorgeous I might add.