Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Worst Advice... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worst-advice-t211438.html)

nhweaver 01-21-2013 07:16 AM

My worst advice was being told "you need to pick up and clear out your sewing area after each time you sew, so you have a nice clean area to work in the next time you sew." I have wasted time, energy and frustration doing this. No longer, Well, dust, lint, threads, cutters, rulers, piles, books, and stuff and I now live happily with each other

scrappy2 01-21-2013 07:17 AM

I was told that you have to use bias binding to bind your quilts. Now I only use it on curve boarders. If someone tells me I have to do it a certain way I'm aready thinking in my head of a different way it could be done.lol No rules,quilting police just have fun.

TinkerQuilts 01-21-2013 07:42 AM

I really can't think of any bad advice I've received. I take all I can get!

quiltnutt 01-21-2013 07:46 AM

I was told that you do not have to pin or trim the blocks or press...BIGGEST mistake I ever did was listen to that person,who thought she was a teacher(she was not). I was new and didn't know any better.

I learned the techniques from a pro and found out that you must pin and trim the blocks to size after they are pressed.

salederer 01-21-2013 08:13 AM

suzyquilter

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 5798179)
I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?

I had someone help me sandwhich a quilt. (She was an instructor) She had me "stretch" each layer of fabric using excessive amounts if spray between each layer. Needless to say I almost ruined a quilt that I'd used very expensive fabric on. I had to salvage it by using a high loft batting, but first having to wash and rewash the fabric. The good thing that came out of this is, a friend taught me how to properly pin a quilt. No more spray for me.

sewingsuz 01-21-2013 08:19 AM

I am still using rotary cutter towards me. Bad habit i need to break.

catmcclure 01-21-2013 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 5798179)
I was thinking we hear lots of advice from teacher, friends etc..regarding quilting. When I first started I watched a tutorial on the internet that said never iron seams or pieces. I tried that once...never again. Yes you can make a quilt...but it does not look as nice. It really makes a huge difference to take the time and iron the seams. What poor advice have you heard and tried?

He's a really great guy, you ought to marry him.

diamondee 01-21-2013 08:49 AM

[QUOTE=catmcclure;5802346]He's a really great guy, you ought to marry him.

HA HA HA HA HA HA I read that twice before I actually got it! I was trying to put it into a quilting situation.

shadowrider 01-21-2013 08:50 AM

love your horse!

newbee3 01-21-2013 08:53 AM

when first started to fmq they said pedal to the metal it does not wowk for me i have to slow it down