Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Worst quilting item purchased (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/worst-quilting-item-purchased-t266664.html)

weezie 06-22-2015 03:53 AM

Back in the day (many years ago), I watched a lot of quilt shows on public t.v. and bought a lot of things that were demonstrated on those shows. Thus I have "tons" of stuff that I've never used, some I very rarely use (such as EQ5 & GO cutter) and some I've used but do not like or they do not work, such as the 2-piece rotary blade sharpener. (I also have a set of those stupid clamps to hold a rolled-up quilt.) I'm quite sure there is nothing wrong with the specialty rulers I bought but have yet to use. My big problem is that I don't have enough time or enough energy and my days & years are zipping by while I'm not creating all the gorgeous quilts I had planned to create when I bought the "tons" of stuff. And don't get me started on all the kitchen items I bought but either I never use or am not particularly happy with.

molly oldham 06-22-2015 03:59 AM

I've bought just about every gadget that simulates a longarm. John Flynn's set up. cant remember the name of it but I bought it twice. 3 other little things on wheels that you set your machine on and roll around pretending it's a longarm.
Bobbin winder.

KnitnutBZ 06-22-2015 04:06 AM

What a great question. This should be a must read by all new quilters. LOL the supreme slider is my big mistake. Terrible price for that small piece of rubber. Sewed it to the back of a quilt once. The oven liner from Christmas tree shop worked pretty good. Now I just spray pledge or use a wax to be buffed off and works great.

SueSew 06-22-2015 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by quilt1950 (Post 7234092)
I agree with this. So many people really like them, but I'm always unhappy with my results.

The first time I used the JT I had trouble because I was using a left-hand-right-hand Fiskars cutter and it wouldn't fit properly into the slot. Now I use the good Olfas, start out straight, and bam, I can cut perfectly. But I don't use it unless I have a lot of strips to cut. You can use it for 5" squares if you cut 5" strips and then get it lined up crosswise.

SueSew 06-22-2015 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ (Post 7234424)
What a great question. This should be a must read by all new quilters. LOL the supreme slider is my big mistake. Terrible price for that small piece of rubber. Sewed it to the back of a quilt once. The oven liner from Christmas tree shop worked pretty good. Now I just spray pledge or use a wax to be buffed off and works great.

Ditto on the supreme Slider - I sewed it right to the quilt - what a mess! But I am a lousy quilter so I need every tiny bit of gadget help I can get.

WMUTeach 06-22-2015 04:17 AM

A ruler. It is still in it's shrink wrap. It was so difficult to use that I just put it in a drawer and said "forget it!".

SueSew 06-22-2015 04:25 AM

what I really HATED was the darn blade sharpener. Totally useless no matter how carefully I used it. I know how to sharpen a knife on a stone and I will tell you it doesn't work.

Not fond of the fat lines on the Omni rulers.

And I have never found any of the cute little 1/4" guides to be any use - whether the bumpers or the one which lines up the needle to the bumper or the one with the slot. But that was short money.

ghostrider 06-22-2015 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by suern3 (Post 7233974)
ghostrider, just curious what brand of rulers have you found that work for you? I'm currently looking for rulers that I can more clearly see the fabric and the markings. No luck so far...

I swear by Olfa Frosted Advantage rulers. Thin lines, non-slip, easy to see on both dark and light fabrics.

quilttiger 06-22-2015 05:11 AM

The binding tool with the instructions printed on it.....there is a MSQC tutorial on it. Well, it does not work for me since the instructions are printed upside down, and I could never remember how to use it and had to check the tutorial everytime I used it.

Madan49 06-22-2015 05:17 AM

3 different kinds of blade sharpeners. None of them worked. I could have bought more blades instead. LOL!