Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Woud we still? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/woud-we-still-t319844.html)

Macybaby 01-03-2023 08:58 AM

I would not. I made several quilts when my kids were little (30 years ago) and didn't enjoy it enough to keep going. Then about 9 years ago, I tried again and fell in love because of the new methods that make cutting so much fun! I like cutting as much as I like sewing, though sometimes I miss the distinctive sound that scissors make when cutting fabric on a tabletop.

sewingitalltogether 01-03-2023 09:06 AM

I remember cutting templates out. Some patterns still use templates.

ibex94 01-03-2023 09:09 AM

Yes. No doubt in my mind. With or with fancy rulers, templates, etc., I will be running a needle and thread through fabric.

c joyce 01-03-2023 09:20 AM

Absolutely! The inner desire to create takes over and you'll use what you have to achieve the end result you want. All the modern tools are great and lets us do things more easily and faster, but in the end, it's still a quilt like you envisioned.

cashs_mom 01-03-2023 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8583443)
I would still be a quilter no matter what method I had to use. I started out with scissors (no rotary cutter), etc. & would gladly go back to it if needed.

Same here. I grew up sewing when you cut everything with scissors and they weren't Gingher shears. Yet, somehow I made really nice clothes and accessories. I'd still be quilting. I've never accustomed myself to a lot of the modern conveniences so I'd be good with it. Most of my piecing is on vintage machines with no automatic cutter or needle up and down and yet I seem to be able to make very nice quilts. Conveniences are just that, conveniences and they wouldn't deter me from creating beauty. Never have before.

petthefabric 01-03-2023 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by c joyce (Post 8583454)
Absolutely! The inner desire to create takes over and you'll use what you have to achieve the end result you want. All the modern tools are great and lets us do things more easily and faster, but in the end, it's still a quilt like you envisioned.

well said. As kids might say, “I must play!” It’s in my soul to be a kid with the freedom to play.

patricej 01-03-2023 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 8583438)
If those things had not been invented? Sure I would still use the old methods. However I would not be able to give up the time saving and accuracy of the new tools now.

that's me, too.

maminstl 01-03-2023 02:48 PM

Not me. I came up making clothing, on and off through the years, but I would definitely not have even taken up quilting without the tools we have today.

MaryKa 01-03-2023 04:44 PM

I would still be a quilter but not as much so. Momma showed me every one of her techniques so I have many different options and I do still use carboard and scissers. I do not own a rotery cutter. I have found a green cutting mat (9x7 inch) and bought 3 from Dollar Tree for $1.25. Don't know exactly what to use them for as I do not have the rotary but at that price I could not refuse. They are the same product as your big boards. I do have a cardboard cutting mat BUT my brand new very old kenmore in the broken apart cabinet is sitting on top of that to protect my dining room table. Will have to buy a couple more of those to be able to cut some fabric. My cutting board at this time is 50c poster board. I also use that for making some of my patterns out of.

ptquilts 01-03-2023 05:31 PM

I would, when my late DH was alive, that is what he used. He could make his own patterns and wouldn't use a rotary cutter. I have since tried it and love it. I am still a hand quilter, I don't think I would do well trying to machine quilt. I find hand quilting relaxing.