Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is your sewing area 'inviting'? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/your-sewing-area-inviting-t67190.html)

JeanieG 10-02-2010 09:30 AM

Great room! I also took over our son's room. Just finished it up with new paint and flooring. I am enjoying it so much!

Joyce 10-02-2010 12:20 PM

Well, my sewing room is inviting to me, but not to others that are neat-nics.
I have a large sewing room, 14.5' x 40', plus a 12'x12' storage room with shelving units.
The last 4 years I have not been able to really get into lifting, cleaning nor even sewing or knitting on my machines.
I'm sure you all know how any flat surface becomes a magnet. Daughters have offered to help but this is something I want to do myself.
The way I have been feeling better the last two weeks I feel pretty sure that I'm going to be able to start sewing like I used to. I am so anxious to be able to spend hours in my "inviting" sewing room.
The trade off is that my stash has been growing. I love those online fabric stores!
Ya'all drop in for coffee and some sewing time with me.

Matilda 10-02-2010 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Joyce
Well, my sewing room is inviting to me, but not to others that are neat-nics.
I have a large sewing room, 14.5' x 40', plus a 12'x12' storage room with shelving units.
The last 4 years I have not been able to really get into lifting, cleaning nor even sewing or knitting on my machines.
I'm sure you all know how any flat surface becomes a magnet. Daughters have offered to help but this is something I want to do myself.
The way I have been feeling better the last two weeks I feel pretty sure that I'm going to be able to start sewing like I used to. I am so anxious to be able to spend hours in my "inviting" sewing room.
The trade off is that my stash has been growing. I love those online fabric stores!
Ya'all drop in for coffee and some sewing time with me.

Hey Joyce! I live just 1-1/2 hours or so south from you, I would love to have coffee with you!

Our sewing rooms/space needs to be inviting to each owner. So long as we like what we have and can be happy in that working space. Perhaps it is not all that we would like it to be but it suits. That is what is most important.

I just made a full pot of coffee! Come on over!

lots2do 10-02-2010 02:48 PM

Matilda- the flowers, the thread (oh, I've never seen it dispayed like that...so lovely and so much!) and the computer monitor that matches the flowers.
You have a very nice space...it seems to be inviting me in!

katiebear1 10-02-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I love organization. I pick up before leaving my sewing room for the day. That way I get to start in a neat sewing room the next day.

Me too. And I vacuum once a week.

GailG 10-02-2010 02:52 PM

OK Joyce and Mathilda, I can smell that coffee waaayy down here. Wish I could join you.

The only thing I wish I had IN my sewing room is a table top -- preferably one clear of clutter.

sewnsewer2 10-02-2010 02:53 PM

I have to keep mine cleaned up, it drives me nuts if I don't clean up after each project.

2wheelwoman 10-02-2010 03:17 PM

I have to have it clean as well. I just can't stand to go in there with everything a mess. Makes me really stress, and not want to be there. So I straighten up before I leave it every day. The current project and it's "stuff" stays out, but everything else goes back to its "place" so I can find it next time.

Joyce 10-02-2010 03:33 PM

Okay, Matilda and GailG, we can have our cyber coffee break together.
Matilda, you and I can actually have coffee together.
By this fall I would like to get my sewing room cleaned up to where it is my sewing room again instead of a drop off for everybody's "stuff".
Then I would like for those close enough to have a get together. We actually have quite a few of us close together, and some who don't mind driving.
I have a number of different machines and would be happy to share including my knitting machines.
I love teaching and would be happy to share "how to do's".

Jim's Gem 10-02-2010 05:01 PM

At the moment mine must be very inviting cause I have 2 of my daughters, my son, my son-in-law and my Dh here in with me. They are all on computers, three of them are playing a game with each other, One's researching wedding stuff and Dh took a break (that's why I'm on here right now) He was playing a game on this computer. My son has taken over a quarter of my sewing desk for his laptop.
I love having everyone here in the room with me!!!!