Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Printing picture on fabric >
  • Printing picture on fabric

• Printing picture on fabric

Old 08-29-2017, 10:19 PM
    Gay

I've used Bubble Jet Set on fabric with no problems. You do have to iron (heat set) after it dries or else the print will wash out. After washing it wasn't too stiff for hand sewing. Maybe the fabric was thinner.
    Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 AM

All the advice on fabric and what to do with it once printed is excellent. HOWEVER, make sure your printer will be able to print on fabric with a backing. Fabric with a backing is thicker than paper even an envelope, and you can kill your printer if you try. You can guess why I know this for a fact.....yep, the fabric paper rolled around the roller thing in the printer and there was no way to remove without completely taking the printer apart. Had to buy a new printer! and I still don't have the photo printed on the paper.
    So just a word of caution, make sure your printer can handle the thickness of paper backed fabric.
    Murphy
    PS I have/had a Cannon TS5020 scanner/printer combo.
    Old 08-30-2017, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224
    All the advice on fabric and what to do with it once printed is excellent. HOWEVER, make sure your printer will be able to print on fabric with a backing. Fabric with a backing is thicker than paper even an envelope, and you can kill your printer if you try. You can guess why I know this for a fact.....yep, the fabric paper rolled around the roller thing in the printer and there was no way to remove without completely taking the printer apart. Had to buy a new printer! and I still don't have the photo printed on the paper.
    So just a word of caution, make sure your printer can handle the thickness of paper backed fabric.
    Murphy
    PS I have/had a Cannon TS5020 scanner/printer combo.
    Printers which feed straight through like most Canons, some Epsons and some older HPs and others, should handle thicker fabric. If your printer rolls the paper around a platen like a laser printer, it won't.

The older Canons used to come with crafting manuals that called for heavier paper.
    Old 08-30-2017, 08:19 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by janice1120
    Want to print a few photos on fabric for a throw that will be hung on a wall. After printing and drying, what needs to be done to make it more permanent?
    Products vary .... the instructions should be with the product that you bought.
    Old 09-07-2017, 11:51 PM

I have been printing my own labels and assume photos would be the same idea. I use an iron to heat set it, but it probably depends on how heavily the quilt will be used. Is it going to be mostly a wall hanging or something that will be washed all of the time?