Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Problem: Expected quilts >
  • Problem: Expected quilts

• Problem: Expected quilts

Old 07-13-2010, 07:38 AM
    Power Poster

How do you know that they are "expecting" a quilt? Do they actually hit you up for it or for a commitment?

When someone gets demanding with me, I tell them to get in line, and I use a tone that conveys that they should not hold their breath.

It also helps to have the occasional drama moment and lament how busy you are with these projects you committed to and that you will need to scale back and do some fun things. They will get the message.
    Old 07-13-2010, 01:37 PM

After reading all comments so far, I began to wonder if you are invited to the weddings, showers, etc. of all the ones who ask you to make them a quilt.
    Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM

I make them for new babies in the family but some don't get them until they are 2. I make quilts as I want to and give them as gifts to who feel like. I don't feel like I owe them to anyone, even if they might think so.

When someone asks for a quilt that I wouldn't normally make, like a friend or acquaintance, I just laugh and say "you have no idea how long these take and how far behind I am in quilts for my family". I don't have to say no but they get the message.
    Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM

I started making quilts for my sibilings, then moved on to their children, etc, etc. I have a niece that got forgotten in the shuffle so I made quilts for two of her children, then for the baby she had today with the intention of making one for her bed. Have I gotten a phone call, or email, or thank you card. NO. She will not be be getting a quilt for her bed. I mean 3 quilts and no time to drop a line of some sort. As you know the quilts don't just appear by the quilting faires over night. I spent alot more time and money than she would with a simple thankyou. What happened to manners????
    Old 07-13-2010, 04:39 PM

I usually do give my quilts away, but, to whomever I want to give them to! Now, I to have people at work wanting me to give them my next quilt. I really don't know how to respond either. I know I have 4 quilts I need to get done, 2 of them are for my parents, for Christmas, so I am good on those. One for a very special person who is at work, he is challenged, and he is not expecting a quilt! I will make him one for Christmas also! The other is for a sick friend.... yes I need to get to quilting!
    Old 07-13-2010, 04:50 PM

I think, being asked to make quilts is not a good thing. If you were in the business of making quilts for a profit or living, then that is another thing. A quilt that is given to another is all together different. It was made with and given with love. Don't put yourself in the position of feeling you have to make one for those asking.

It might be time to announce that you are no longer making quilts other than for your own enjoyment, be it a gift or a family quilt. Too much of your time is being taken up with trying to make one for everyone who wishes to have one. * but you could show them how to make one themselves if they were interested*!! That might spark an interest and create new quilters!

Good Luck and don't be afraid to say NO.

Sharon
    Old 07-13-2010, 05:08 PM

I simply tell them that I just don't have time and that is that.
    Old 07-13-2010, 05:43 PM
    Dee

WHy does this sound so familar? As soon as people know you can sew-have a needle and thread and a sewing machine you now are sucker bait and know you can't say no. But after many years and mad cuz all my projects were on hold-I'd give a price and no more freebies. Now sewing or quilting is by my choice and people will buy or use the cow webbed sewing machine they never use.
    Old 07-13-2010, 05:51 PM

Most people have no clue as to the time, work and money put into making a quilt. And, to make a quilt for someone who "expects" it takes the joy out of the whole project.
    Old 07-14-2010, 05:57 AM

My Mom tells me every time she visits and sees a quilt she hasn't seen before, "I want one". My response is "I'm sure you do". And leave it at that.
    Two years ago when I got back fron AQS, I had 7 baby quilts to make. I had them made and shipped in 2 months. Some were for friends, some for family. When I got thank you notes from the grandmothers instead of the mothers, I swore off ever doing it again. In the case of my aunt, her comment was (about her DIL), she wan't raised like we were, she doesn't know better. SO teach her!!!! Now when or if I make a baby quilt it's for very special people in my life, or my future GKs.
    I won't make my own sister a quilt because of how she treated the 2 I made for her son. I know she doesn't take care of things. I'll be bringing his quilt home with me to see if I can repair it. At the time, I thought wrongly that she would take care of it because it was her son's. Wrong!!