Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A Problem >
  • A Problem

• A Problem

Old 12-01-2010, 03:55 PM

I hear ya, Just finished a baby quilt for my nephew and his wife
    (i've always considered her a niece) but when I gave it to her comment was "oh thats nice ". another one on my list that is't worthy of all my time and effort. I 'am not one that expects gushes over my gifts, but a little appreciation would be ok. While I on my soap box when did sending out thank you notes for gifts go out of style? Am I just so old that Thank you notes have gone by the way side and I didn"t notice ?
    Old 12-01-2010, 04:20 PM

Sounds like a one-upper to me! Don't set yourself up for disappointment with this friend, but bring your quilts HERE. I would love to see them. :-D
    Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM

We will look at them. Just post themand you will gets lots of positive feed back.
    Old 12-01-2010, 06:01 PM

I have a friend who reminds me of your friend. In her opinion her crafts are always prettier, her house is better decorated, her car is nicer and the list goes on and on. The truth is our mutual group of friends is rather diversified and we each have a craft/hobby in which we shine. Most of us are also secure with who we are and do the best we can to make the best of the hand life has dealt us. She on the other hand is very insecure, and has a very low self esteeme, however, she is always the 1st person in the group to step forward when someone needs help. Although we feel it would be nice if she occasinally gave someone a compliment , even a tiny little one, deep down we know its not going to happen and just do the best we can to ignore her comments while patiently waiting for a miracle.
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:03 PM

Who made her God?? Scrap her opinions and do what you want. You are the artist. I think Picassos are horrid but look at the prices they bring! Quilting is recreation, enjoyment, creativity, and an outlet for your joy, fun, grief and tears. You don't have to have her approval to make spectacular quilts. Carry on!!
    Old 12-01-2010, 08:48 PM

I started to write a soapbox note about people with scorecards. But I don't need to - you only need to ask if you value the friendship for other reasons.

At the end of the day, artists also have other friends who are not artists. Enjoy your craft and keep the friends who lift you up.
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    I think I'd quit showing her my quilts. If her opinion made me sad, I wouldn't listen to it any more.
    This is what I'd do too. I have stopped sharing anything with people who are so self centered & selfish. Not worth my time or anything else.
    Just show them to us. We will certainly give you the praise & ooohhhhs & aaaahhhhs they deserve! :mrgreen:
    Old 12-01-2010, 09:24 PM

I know someone like that - my work is quickly dismissed and then we have to talk about hers so now I don't show her any thing and because shes on her own I can't abandon her so am trying to just accept thats the way she is but like other people have said on here post your pics and there will definitely be some very nice comments - every one likes to have their hard work appreciated
    Old 12-02-2010, 04:29 PM

I have found that people who must always get the highest praise and be best, or first are really very needy.. They may seem very self confident, but if they are not #1 they are hurt.. and so will try anything to take that position. She may be one of those people who are always needing strokes.. Trouble is that it dosen't help them. The very next thing that comes along they are fighting for that top spot again.. You can't fill them up. I agree with the others, quit showing her your quilts.. It won't fix her, but it will keep you from feeling so deflated.
    Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy11442
    I have a friend who makes beautiful quilts. We share our "show and tell" and she expects high praise. If she doesn't get it, she lets you know. When I show my projects I am often disappointed to get an "Oh, that's nice" or "Oh that's cute". Very unenthusiastic. My quilts are nice, neat, and would certainly keep any one warm. I am a traditional quilter. At any rate, I don't want this to affect our friendship, however, it is very disappointing to me when I give her high praise and lots of "oooo's and ahhhhh's" and I get this flat, "Oh, uh-huh". Any advice?
    I agree with all!