Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Professional Tote....tips? >
  • Professional Tote....tips?

• Professional Tote....tips?

Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Default Professional Tote....tips?

I have finally purchased the pattern. I love to make purses. Any "tips" in regard to the construction? Choosing fabrics? What you wish you knew before you made yourProfessional Tote?

Thanks !!
    sandy
    Old 07-27-2014, 12:07 PM

I will be interested in responses too as I have purchased this pattern but have not started it because it looks quite complicated!!
    Old 07-27-2014, 12:27 PM

I didn't cut individual pieces of the interfacing to fuse on the pattern pieces. I put the interfacing on a length of fabric, then cut the pieces. I feel it saved a lot of time and frustration. Be sure to follow the directions exactly and go from step 1 to step 2, then step 3. Don't get ahead of yourself. Have ALL your notions before you start -- you will be surprised at the order you will need them. Don't let the instructions intimidate you. Focus only on the step that you are on! It would be good to read all the instructions before starting. When working on your tote if you don't understand what the instructions say then take a break and come back to that step when you start again. This is not a quick bag to make but it really isn't all that hard -- just a lot of instructions. My 11 year old granddaughter made this bag last year -- she got a blue ribbon, Best of Class and Best of Show at the fair.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]485209[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails 100_0926.jpg  
    Old 07-27-2014, 02:58 PM

Nammie to 7's advice is spot on. I can't share a picture as I didn't take any of mine and used it so much, I literally wore the handles out! Recently bought the Mini Professional Tote as that will be a better "every day" size for me.

Nammie to 7 - your granddaughter is adorable and her bag is wonderful! Great choice of fabrics and beautifully done!
    Old 07-27-2014, 03:07 PM
    Power Poster

Is this the tote you are talking about?
    http://thecreativethimble.com/shop/p...-tote/#reviews

I've never made one as it seems intimidating; however, if an 11yo can do it maybe I can too!
    Old 07-27-2014, 03:24 PM

Nammie
    your DGD and her bag are beautiful!! I hope to try the Professional Tote pattern soon!
    Old 07-27-2014, 04:07 PM

Nammie your granddaughter is beautiful! And congrats to her on that great bag. Also thank you for your advice. Especially the part about taking a break when it's too much to process. I'm working on a different complicated tote with a lot of pieces, fabric, Peltex, fusible fleece, interfacing. Driving me crazy, and starting to cut things the wrong size! Another tip I have is to pin a note on each set of cuttings so you can keep everything straight. Seriously, when you have main body, upper body, bottom, front pockets, back pockets, then lining pieces, then the fusible pieces, etc. AND all the pieces seem similar in size, I'm finding it helpful to stay organized.
    Old 07-27-2014, 04:18 PM

I've made 3 and the above advise is exactly what I would say. The last one I made I used Soft and Stable https://www.byannie.com/shop/categor...ft-and-stable/
    instead of the other interfacing recommended. It is easy to sew through and gives the bag great body. As a side benefit, it weighs less than the one with the recommended interfacings.
    Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 PM

I have the mini version pattern - is it hard to do with a directional print?
    Old 10-20-2014, 04:05 AM

Pat, I would also like to use the soft and stable, can you tell me, did you use any of the recommended Deco bond or did you just follow direction and cut every piece of the (interfacing) out of the soft and stable? (Piece for piece?). Thx
    Irene