Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • puff biscuit quilt.........help >
  • puff biscuit quilt.........help

• puff biscuit quilt.........help

Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
    Banned

thanks for all the help I will order 1 bag, I have enough of crap around here without having extra fiberfill.
    Old 08-19-2010, 04:31 PM

after i got home and checked my bag of fiber fill that i bought at walmart - it was a 1# bag - so, i've used approx. one and 1/3 bags. the biscuits i have now just cover the top of my standard size bed. i'm going to make flaps (for want of a better word) like approx 8" border all around and call it quits. i'm going to use hi-loft batting and maybe do some fmq on it b/4 i attach it.
    Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 PM
    Power Poster

I made 8 or 9 Queen size biscuit quilts several years ago and 3 baby crib size. Base was 4" top 3" and I used several bags of polyester fibberfil per each one of the largest ones, probably 1# bags. I did stuff too many too full and they are extremely hard to sew the rows together. For this size of biscuit use about the size of a golf ball or ping pong ball, yours are larger and you would need to use more, not sure, maybe a tennis ball size amount. Sewing together into rows isn't that hard, when you sew 2 or more rows together is when you know if you stuffed them too much. I love the biscuit quilts, they are gorgeous when done. Good luck.
    P.S. Keep the ball size loose. I would not use anything but polyester, these are heavy and even heavier when being washed, not easy to wash unless you have a very large washer.
    Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 AM

yep, it's real easy to stuff biscuits too full. i used an adjustable zipper foot to sew my blocks tog b/4 filling - set needle on right, then when i started sewing my blocks tog after they were stuffed i set my needle to the left and it stitched just right. the narrow zipper foot is easier to sew with than a regular foot.
    Old 08-20-2010, 11:34 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by misseva
    yep, it's real easy to stuff biscuits too full. i used an adjustable zipper foot to sew my blocks tog b/4 filling - set needle on right, then when i started sewing my blocks tog after they were stuffed i set my needle to the left and it stitched just right. the narrow zipper foot is easier to sew with than a regular foot.
    thanks for the tip
    Old 08-23-2010, 03:25 PM
    Power Poster

Have you started the puff quilt yet ?
    Old 08-24-2010, 08:23 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by sharon b
    Have you started the puff quilt yet ?
    Not yet, since I can't drive I had to order the polifil and it hasn't arrived yet. Also Gwyn was suppose to send me a pattern and she hasn't. I guess I will google it. I wanted to have everything in the house for when I start it. I just finished a memory pillow and wedding garter for by BFF DD and cut the rest of the clothing for BBF memory quilt. I hand sew everything, and I am in the middle of a baby quilt. I have 46 days until baby. I have to finish DS's Saint Francis quilt, he attends Franciscan University. That one I am only tying. Then I will start on the puff. I might cut the sq when I get tired of sewing. I thought it would be a good fall project. It will be for my DD using flannel. I think a puff quilt calls for flannel, it is like a big marshmellow.
    Old 08-24-2010, 08:42 AM

i used cotton fabrics in mine. just decide how big you want your blocks to be - for instance i cut 4" blocks for the bottom and 5" blocks for the top/puff. i think the ratio is the bottom square should be 1" smaller than the top. i didn't have a pattern. i have a book that has a pattern in it but didn't use it.