Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Puff Quilt Question Please >
  • Puff Quilt Question Please

• Puff Quilt Question Please

Old 01-06-2020, 05:01 PM

Default Puff Quilt Question Please

Hi....I am planning to make a small puffy quilt and just wanted to know how it is after washing and drying? I know if you don't tack down a quilt sometimes the batting could shift and was wondering if the fiberfill got lumpy.

I guess I was a little leery because I made one of those potholders that you fold four squares into a triangle and put on top of a backing fabric and then just sew around the outside (and then turn it right side out) with just a little bit of tacking in the middle and when I washed it, it blew up like a balloon....lol!

Also, could I make a puffy quilt with fleece instead of cotton? Thanks for any help.
    Old 01-06-2020, 05:45 PM
    Power Poster

The ones I’ve seen, the puffs were filled with polyester fibrefill. It usually stays puffy and makes the quilt lighter then using other batts.
    Old 01-06-2020, 07:30 PM

Are these stuffed squares? Try a few blocks made from scrap fabrics. Put them together on muslin. Wash and see how they look. The results will depend on how much fill is put in the square.

You may want to pre wash the fabrics for the shrink factor.
    Old 01-08-2020, 08:58 PM

I made a puff quilt also known as "biscuit quilt" and each square was filled with poly stuffing. The tendency is to over fill each puff. It's for a full size bed and is way too heavy. Never been washed. It will have to be taken to commercial laundrymat.
    Old 01-09-2020, 06:50 AM

I used fiber fill in my puff quilt. Getting the amount of fiber fill correctly was a challenge but I discovered if I weighed each section I did pretty good. I have a scale that can weight very small amounts. This was the perfect way for me to get it right. I set the fiber fill on a plate and the digital scale picked up the smallest amount and surprised me half to death with the accuracy. Tacking it well is the most important part however. This is a beautiful quilt to do have fun with it.
    Old 01-09-2020, 07:01 AM

I've made a lap sized panel quilt and was careful not to overstuff with polyfil. I secured the center of each square with a sewn button which helped evenly distribute and secure the filling - it's held up thru many washings just fine. Yes, it's a bit heavy so it wouldn't suit me to make or use as a full size (twin, full, queen, etc..) bed quilt.
    Old 01-09-2020, 02:50 PM
    Power Poster

Wow, this takes me back. Years ago I made a pillow called a biscuit pillow. My boys loved it to death!
    I can't imagine a quilt though. As someone mentioned it would be really heavy.
    Old 01-09-2020, 04:15 PM

I have been thinking of making a puff quilt too. If I used 5 inch squares, who much filling should I put in each? TIA
    Old 01-10-2020, 05:25 PM
    Power Poster

My puffs always stay nicein the washer and dryer. keep your patches about 3x3".
    I've never had a problem with the pot holders.i make mine 10 x 10
    maybe you're going too big?
    Old 01-12-2020, 05:36 PM

I made this puff quilt as a baby quilt for one of my grandsons. It is minky back, poly batting scraps that I 'fluffed' and stuffed into the biscuits (the batting scraps were much lighter weight than the bags of poly stuffing that can be purchased), and the top is minky, flannel, and fleece. It is fairly weighted, heavier than a 'regular' baby quilt, nice if you like the feel of a weighted blanket. It is soft and wonderfully textured for the babies to play on. I did quilt in rows in between the biscuits.
    Attached Thumbnails puff1.png