Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Pull up your socks, girls. Does not apply to fellas. >
  • Pull up your socks, girls. Does not apply to fellas.

• Pull up your socks, girls. Does not apply to fellas.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Caer Urfa
    Just loved this excerpt from a Singer Sewing Book circa 1900. How many of you abide by these rules?

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible.
    Go through a beauty ritual of orderliness, have on a clean dress.
    Be sure your hands are clean, fingernails smooth - nail file and pumice will help.
    Always avoid hang nails.
    Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine where you can pick it up and dust your fingers at intervals.
    This not only absorbs the moisture on your fingers, but helps keep your work clean.
    Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care.
    Looking attractive is a very important part of sewing for if you are making something for yourself, you will try it on at intervals in front of your mirror and you can hope for better results when you look your best.
    Again, sewing must be approached with the idea that you are going to enjoy it and if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should.
    Therefore "spruce up" at the beginning so that you are free to enjoy every part of the sewing you do.
    Have seen this in an old sewing book before and had a good laugh. Times have really changed. We used to wear hats and gloves to church, and girls didn't wear jeans in those days!!! :lol:
    Old 12-08-2010, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by earlylace
    too funny! I usually have a bad hair day while sewing!!!! OMG!
    PIX TOOOOOO FUNNY!! ME TOO :lol:
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Most days Im rushing around at the last minute before dh gets home to get out of my jammies and comb my hair. spray some pledge in the air, pour bleach in the sink to make it smell like I did something besides sew.
    Never thought of that. Thanks for the tip. LOL
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:23 PM

You mean after changing the oil in my car , turning the soil in my garden spot and mucking out the stalls....with so little time left before I need to serve a sit down dinner for sixteen guests I can't take a few minutes to sew before I have to get into my Dinner gown?
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:24 PM

Just loved this excerpt from a Singer Sewing Book circa 1900. How many of you abide by these rules?

When you sew, make yourself as attractive as possible.
    Go through a beauty ritual of orderliness, have on a clean dress.
    Be sure your hands are clean, fingernails smooth - nail file and pumice will help.
    Always avoid hang nails.
    Keep a little bag full of French chalk near your sewing machine where you can pick it up and dust your fingers at intervals.
    This not only absorbs the moisture on your fingers, but helps keep your work clean.
    Have your hair in order, powder and lipstick put on with care.
    Looking attractive is a very important part of sewing for if you are making something for yourself, you will try it on at intervals in front of your mirror and you can hope for better results when you look your best.
    Again, sewing must be approached with the idea that you are going to enjoy it and if you are constantly fearful that a visitor will drop in or your husband come home and you will not look neatly put together, you will not enjoy your sewing as you should.
    Therefore "spruce up" at the beginning so that you are free to enjoy every part of the sewing you do.
    I guess my thermal underwear and sweatpants covered in threads today at the moment are a sign of failure? So sorry but I am comfortable and with DH in and out the back door, which is in my room, I need it. He is almost done with bath remodel and I will be so happy when he is. Poor sewing machine doesnt like the dust he is creating.
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:35 PM

Heh, sprucing up in case DH comes home, that is hi-larious. I might put on a bra for guests. Sometimes I'll change out of PJ bottoms. Not a whole lot else :D
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:36 PM

Most days Im rushing around at the last minute before dh gets home to get out of my jammies and comb my hair. spray some pledge in the air, pour bleach in the sink to make it smell like I did something besides sew.
    OMG, that's hilarious!!
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 PM

LOL I use Pinesol!
    Old 12-08-2010, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by twospoiledhuskies
    GrammaO are you my long lost twin?? Sounds like it :-D
    Probably! I was adopted as an infant. Everytime I read the comments on this board I'm sure I've found relatives. If we're not all sisters by blood we are in the heart!
    Old 12-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    You mean pj's aren't the best thing to dress in. I guess I failed this test!
    I agree with you whole heartedly on this one. I failed too. I just finished reading everyones comments we all sound like we are related in one way or another. LMAO