Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Putting Your Longarm on Home Insurance? >
  • Putting Your Longarm on Home Insurance?

• Putting Your Longarm on Home Insurance?

Old 08-25-2023, 02:36 AM

I have all of my quilting machines on surge protectors -- good ones. I turn off my machines/irons etc. and then switch off the surge protectors as well. It keeps the current stopped at the surge protector. I questioned it a little bit, but have had power surges that have zapped the surge protectors, but it didn't travel beyond them. It was expensive (over 250.00) to replace the 5 expensive surge protectors, but so much cheaper than getting machines damaged. Never had a lightening strike, but our homeowners insurance has lightening strike protection coverage.

Last edited by quiltsfor; 08-25-2023 at 02:42 AM.
    Old 08-25-2023, 05:19 AM

Thank you all for the advice! Wow! So much to think about, and not just for longarms! Insurance is a pain in the butt, costs a fortune, probably will never be needed, but when it is needed it's still a nightmare!
    I'm not planning on quilting for others yet, but I haven't ruled it out entirely for the future. I do unplug all my machines after every use/ sewing session just to be safe. I've heard too many stories of surge protectors failing in storms. I guess one of my worst fears is getting hit with a monster size tornado, or a tree falling on the house. Silly fears I know... Especially if something like that was to happen, the last thing I would be considered about are sewing toys and stuff.
    ​​​​​
    Old 08-25-2023, 06:17 AM
    mkc

Originally Posted by quiltsfor
    I have all of my quilting machines on surge protectors -- good ones. I turn off my machines/irons etc. and then switch off the surge protectors as well. It keeps the current stopped at the surge protector.
    Just switching off does not keep stray current/energy from coming in on the ground wire.
    Old 08-25-2023, 08:42 AM

I read of a woman who got mad at her insurance company and cancelled her insurance - BEFORE she had replacement insurance in place. You can see where this is going. She had a pipe break and no insurance to cover it.