Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Puzzle Mat Set question >
  • Puzzle Mat Set question

• Puzzle Mat Set question

Old 07-21-2012, 07:08 AM

Default Puzzle Mat Set question

Exactly what is this used for regarding fabric?

http://www.joann.com/24-x36-puzzle-mat-set/prd23955/
    Old 07-21-2012, 07:22 AM

I don't know, but it says it is not self healing?

delma
    Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 AM

You can make different sizes with the pieces. But since it is not self-healing, not sure what to use it for.
    Old 07-21-2012, 07:34 AM

I would wonder if pressing down with the rotary cutter would cause distortion where the pieces are joined. And it is too expensive for something that is non-healing. Why not just buy the size that fits in the first place?
    Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 AM

I think "not self-healing" is a red flag. I wouldn't buy it.
    Old 07-21-2012, 08:02 AM

I would not use it everyday day. It is not self healing. Might be nice when you want to travel with it. You can break it down and use as many pieces or as little as you want. I feel it is the convenience you are paying for. Not for me.
    Old 07-21-2012, 11:00 AM

Looks like the same material that their big 30X60 mat is made of. I know lots of people don't like it but I've used one of these to cover my cutting table for several years. It may not be self-healing but I haven't had any problems. When it gets worn in one spot (several years) I turn it around to a fresh spot. These would give you more choices of how to turn to a new spot
    Old 07-21-2012, 12:48 PM
    Power Poster

i have a set of those my hubby bought me for Christmas a couple years ago---i love them! i can snap them together into what ever size cutting mat i need- i can have 4 in a line along a counter- or make a 9 square block with them to meet any need i have for a cutting mat- they have held up well- he bought mine at the lqs in 2009 - he bought me 4 sets of 4 squares and the carrying case they came in are great for holding blocks as i work on them- sturdy- have a carry handle- i love the portability- i can stick one in my bag & take it with me- sit & use it for cutting squares when watching tv- or use it at work - i use them every single day! they cover my large cutting table- i take one square to the sewing machine & have it sitting next to me when paper piecing my (50-stars) blocks- or any other paper piecing- here's a couple pics of mine in use- and the carry cases they came in being used too
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]350491[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]350492[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]350493[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]350494[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails cutting-boards_39.jpg   cutting-boards_40.jpg   cutting-boards_41.jpg   cutting-boards_42.jpg  
    Old 07-21-2012, 05:19 PM

It got great reviews! http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/r...1&product=true
    Old 07-22-2012, 03:00 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Freddie
    I would not use it everyday day. It is not self healing. Might be nice when you want to travel with it. You can break it down and use as many pieces or as little as you want. I feel it is the convenience you are paying for. Not for me.
    i've been using mine every day since Christmas 2009---they have held up well- some of the lines are faded a bit but not as much as my large (whole table) mat faded. i do have a (mat cleaning disc) which is like a sanding disc with a handle- made specifically for cleaning your cutting mats- i have gone over my squares a couple times- but the (not self healing thing does not seem to matter) in fact- these have held up better- lasted longer than my last much more expensive self healing mat held up. and the portability & convenience is well worth the $ spent.