Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QAYG: did you know..... >
  • QAYG: did you know.....

• QAYG: did you know.....

Old 02-01-2011, 06:06 AM

I have arthritis in my hands. My fingers are a mess. Can't do hand work. So everything has to be machine stitched. Don''t know why I haven't done it years before--its faster and looks just as good if not better
    Annette
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I saw a demo of "Fun and Done" another way to do QAYG and there is no hand work. I didn't look up any sites but I'm sure there are demos here on the Board or by searching for Fun and Done on the internet.
    I've seen one, too. You might have to hunt a little, but it will save you the time of hand sewing.
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:10 AM

There are soooooo many ways to do QAYG! I do the most simple method I could find. I make strips of blocks (or just strips)in widths from 6 to 9 even 10 inches wide. Quilt each strip as it is added. There is NO hand sewing required. Backing, batting and top all go on together. I've sort of made up my own "variations on a theme" with this basic method. You Tube has many, many good tutorials! You can choose the one that you like!!!
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:27 AM

Check out www.crazyshortcutquilts.com. I used Marguerita McManus' method on my Hawaiian Shirts Recycled quilt (see avatar) and it can be adapted to any QAYG project. This method adds sashing front and back in a very clever way. She has some videos and also a book. I am going to use it again for my current WIP tee shirt quilt. no hand sewing whatsoever!
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 AM

Wow! Absolutely easy! Wish I had known this years ago!
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
    I saw a demo of "Fun and Done" another way to do QAYG and there is no hand work. I didn't look up any sites but I'm sure there are demos here on the Board or by searching for Fun and Done on the internet.
    I use this all the time and it really works....www.baysidequilting.com has a demo and supplies
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:53 AM

I have done QAYG entirely by machine. It is not quite as pretty as hand whip stitching, but its not bad. I've also heard you can use the blind hem stitch on you machine instead of hand whip stitching, but I've never heard exactly how and haven't taken the time to figure it out myself.

QAYG covers a variety of techniques and if you can't find one that fits exactly what you want to do, you can modify and combine the techniques. I practice on small projects - table mats and baby quilts, even potholders, to find the ones that work best for what I want for any particular project.
    Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 AM

Books I've used include Sharon Pederson's "Reversible Quilts" and Marti Mitchell's "Quilting in Sections", plus of course there is the old standby "Lap Quilting" by Georgia Bonesteel, which is geared towards hand work but could be adapted. And as a plus, it seems to be often available at libraries.
    Old 02-01-2011, 07:06 AM

LOL! You're a mess!
    Old 02-01-2011, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
    that QAYG (quilt as you go) requires hand sewing?!! ... :( .... Arrrrggghhhh!! I took a class on Saturday and, aghast, find out that it requires hand sewing! Betrayed, that's how I feel!! BETRAYED!!! :? :? ..(We need a symbol for "tongue in cheek" kidding.)

:| I thought I would be learning a new technique that would save time. Guess it does, to a point. But, hand sewing? They tell me to do it while watching tv. Nooooooo, that's my time for yarn work, computer games, etc. Ugh.

Okay, vent over. I feel better now that I've warned everyone. Spread the word. I'm relying on you! ;)
    I do QAYG a lot and I NEVER hand sew. I have bursitis in my shoulder and it is very painful to hand sew anything. What I do is sew one sashing on the front and one on the back of a block at the same time. Then I sew the front sashing to the next block. Then I fold over the back sashing so it is a little over the stitch line then Stitch in the Ditch from the front. Try it. I think it would work for you.