Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QAYG: did you know..... >
  • QAYG: did you know.....

• QAYG: did you know.....

Old 02-01-2011, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
    I'm going on the hunt for those "other methods" plus try using the bias tape approach! When asked what type of quilt I was making (lap, etc.), I said it is a quilt for my cat Squeaky. Baby Peeps has one and Squeak is jealous!! :-) Given that we only made six blocks, I think Squeaky will be quite pleased.

And, for those of you who think cats don't know which blanky is theirs, guess again! :-) :-)

p.s., I should add that I am Rudy's "blanky"! The stinker doesn't need a quilt.
    You are too funny about your furbabys... I have them too.

I also agree with you... I don't like to hand sew.. I'm not very good at it. Machine all the way. Though, I admire anyone who does. I just don't have the time. I like to see my finished project faster.
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM

I just completed a baby QAYG quilt, with zero handquilting. Don't give up!
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:33 AM

I do my hand binding, so it won't bother me to hand sew on the QAYG, which I am working on right now. I'd rather hand sew and work with smaller pieces on my machine because my opening is so small and doing anything larger than a baby quilt just kills my shoulders. I don't make many large quilts, but have two right now in the making,so hand sewing it will be.
    Old 02-01-2011, 10:05 AM
    Banned

that QAYG (quilt as you go) requires hand sewing?!! ... :( .... Arrrrggghhhh!! I took a class on Saturday and, aghast, find out that it requires hand sewing! Betrayed, that's how I feel!! BETRAYED!!! :? :? ..(We need a symbol for "tongue in cheek" kidding.)

:| I thought I would be learning a new technique that would save time. Guess it does, to a point. But, hand sewing? They tell me to do it while watching tv. Nooooooo, that's my time for yarn work, computer games, etc. Ugh.

Okay, vent over. I feel better now that I've warned everyone. Spread the word. I'm relying on you! ;)
    you might try this method:
    https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=284]https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284[/url]
    Old 02-01-2011, 10:14 AM

try "Fun and Done" no hand sewing, beautiful results!
    Old 02-01-2011, 11:05 AM

Since last summer I have been looking for a method
    with NO hand sewing but still a good look on the back --
    well so far NO luck --was so anxious to see the Betty Cotton Theory but it won't work on this qult I have started-- now it is put away until after April but I still need to find out how to QAYG --I have some fabric for the sashing

any suggestions will be researched as these large blocks
    have the back on already in white so I don't want to hand quilt when I do so much with machine. HELP!

that QAYG (quilt as you go) requires hand sewing?!! ... :( .... Arrrrggghhhh!! I took a class on Saturday and, aghast, find out that it requires hand sewing! Betrayed, that's how I feel!! BETRAYED!!! :? :? ..(We need a symbol for "tongue in cheek" kidding.)

:| I thought I would be learning a new technique that would save time. Guess it does, to a point. But, hand sewing? They tell me to do it while watching tv. Nooooooo, that's my time for yarn work, computer games, etc. Ugh.

Okay, vent over. I feel better now that I've warned everyone. Spread the word. I'm relying on you! ;)
    Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 AM

I personally know of 4 different types of "quilt as you go" methods that I use & I don't hand sew anything. There is one type that could be partially hand sewed - but certainly isn't necessary.
    Old 02-01-2011, 11:33 AM

I do the QAYG and I use a pretty stitch on my machine unstead of hand sewing
    Old 02-01-2011, 12:00 PM

I've made a couple of QAYG projects and they required no hand sewing and I didn't use bias tape, rick rack etc. Fun n done is one way, my niece's quilt turned out great, and another method I learned in a class that is braided columns sewn together, can't remember if there was a particular name, but it came out great also. Keep looking for patterns and techniques they are out there.
    Old 02-01-2011, 01:32 PM

I have done several quilt as you go and no hand sewing.