Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QAYG outcome >
  • QAYG outcome

• QAYG outcome

Old 07-13-2014, 01:47 PM

I have made three and all of them had sashing and I love each one. I've not had a problem with anything about doing it that way and it's fast and easy to get a bigger quilt made.
    Old 07-13-2014, 01:53 PM
    Power Poster

Wow! I didn't like my first QAYG. My fUlt totally! I am ready to try again after seeing these posts!
    Old 07-13-2014, 04:38 PM

My first QAYG for a special friend. The pictures doesn't show it's true color. I don't remember the name of pattern off hand but I did enjoy making it. If want to know the name of pattern, sent me msg and I ll look for it. Tempt to make another one some day
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Old 07-14-2014, 03:46 AM

very pretty!
    Old 07-14-2014, 03:53 AM

Sharon Pederson has a great book called " More reversible Quilts" that has a great sashing method that works so well. I like to quilt on smaller areas and the use her method of sashing. You end up with a good sashing that is attractive and neat.

Last edited by danlynmartin; 07-14-2014 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Spelling errors that made the answer not make sense
    Old 07-14-2014, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by juropat
    My first QAYG for a special friend. The pictures doesn't show it's true color. I don't remember the name of pattern off hand but I did enjoy making it. If want to know the name of pattern, sent me msg and I ll look for it. Tempt to make another one some day
    Very attractive.

Serita
    Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 AM

Default A quilt for my sister

I made this Dresden plate quilt for my sister when she was recovering from breast cancer, she didn't know which side she liked best as I did the "back" in a selection of fabrics in her favourite colours. I can't remember who's method I chose was just a bit cross as one or three of the blocks were slightly out of line, but since then I have taken a bit more notice and it hasn't happened again, yet
    Attached Thumbnails dresden-quilt-2.jpg   dresden-quilt-back.jpg  
    Old 07-14-2014, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by craftygater
    I do almost everything QAYG. I don't have any hand stitching and don't always have sashing. As long as you can assemble in rows either vertical or horizontal doesn't matter. Just put a row together cut batting (slightly smaller) and backing same size. Sandwich and quilt. Make second row and cut backing and batting. Place top face to face and back face to face. Pin at matching seams. Sew row together, flip both sides out and insert batting and quilt. Continue with each row until complete. Add borders if wanted and finish. If you have sashings then add sashing to one side of row and to back or cut back size to include sashing width and sew front and back to sashing edge insert batting and continue. Yes you still have the entire quilt near the end BUT you don't have to stuff the quilt into the harp of the machine. It is all to the left of the machine. The only issue I have is when I have to turn the quilt sometimes in quilting but most of the time it is either in front, beside or behind the machine not in the harp.
    This is the method that I used on my quilt that I just finished. I did the three borders in the same manner, but individually, both sides then top and bottom; I found that it didn't work to put all of the borders together first with the pattern that I used. I liked that I didn't have to fight getting the bulk under the harp of the machine.
    Old 07-14-2014, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by dee1245
    I just finished my first bed size quilt, a memory quilt with my late husband's button down shirts, 82" X 90", using a quilt as you go technique. It was done in panels. It turned out great. I went to You Tube and watched several different QAYG videos. I chose the one done in panels because I used a new Jenny Doan block, the Disappearing Pinwheel (Shoefly) which didn't use sashing between the blocks. It took some extra time as I was not familiar with the QAYG methods, but I didn't have a fight between the quilt and the sewing machine. I don't have a long arm machine.
    I will post pictures as soon as I finish re-doing the binding. I was not pleased with the macnie binding, so I undid the sewing and am finishing by hand-stitching, which btw is not something I enjoy doing.
    Old 07-14-2014, 12:45 PM

http://quilting.wonderhowto.com/how-...achine-423636/

This is a method with no hand sewing and I am doing it next, looks really easy and no hand sewing which I can't do with arthritis in my hands anymore.