Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QB- Good and Bad >
  • QB- Good and Bad

• QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-10-2011, 05:22 PM

I have only been quilting for a little over a year and I could have written your words. Sure, I learn more on every quilt I make but mine will probably always just fall into the "good enough" category. My quilting obession has and continues to literally save my life! It provides me with an outlet to share my love and creativity with others and it is pretty inexpensive therapy!

Hang in there and try not to doubt yourself or your abilities-if you enjoy what you are doing-thats GOOD ENOUGH! I try to only give my work to those that I know will appreciate it and there are plenty of those persons in my life.
    Old 07-10-2011, 05:23 PM

The quilt police will never visit you, so do not worry. Quilting is for the relaxation and enjoyment of it. In your case it is an outlet and a vacation. It is also cheaper than a doctor's visit and prescription (s). Mostly, YOU ARE NOT ALONE! God Bless.
    Old 07-10-2011, 05:24 PM

joy you are what quilting is about. do all you can for others, but you need to quilt for you. your avatar is beautiful. my seams are not always correct my color choices maybe not the best but i have made many quilts and not one person has ever fefused to take one. quilting is joy.
    Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM

Hi Joy
    As a new quilter, I have to agree with you, I am not looking to win ribbons, just to make quilts that my family will use and love. Quilting has been a outlet for me, caring for an 81 year old mother and 62 year old sister does take its toll - I am really amazed that I find sewing all these small pieces of fabric together can be so relaxing. Keep up the good work and ENJOY!!
    Normabeth
    Old 07-10-2011, 05:29 PM
    Power Poster

I stand in awe of lots of quilts I see here on the board (yours rank among them` good lord!..look at your avatar!). I just enjoy the craft and the friends I've made here. They are your quilts, its your hobby, so don't worry about all the things you mentioned. Just enjoy the making and keep sharing with us here so we can ooh and aaahhh about them
    Old 07-10-2011, 05:33 PM

Joy- thanks for being so honest-and look at the tons of responses you have generated!! We quilt because we love to, everybody on their own level, and I am right there with you. God bless you for being a caregiver to so many with so many needs, that puts you beyond any perfect quilt in Paducah, by far. Do you ever get a break?? Does any one come in to spell you for a few hours here and there?? I know any of us would if we could!
    Old 07-10-2011, 06:16 PM

I have been quilting for a while now and I have to say that your quilts are gorgeous!!! It doesn't matter where you got your fabric, what kind of thread you use, or what kind of machine you have. I don't think this is about comparing to see who is "best" by anybody's standards but about sharing something we all love to do and enjoy what others have done. Keep on doing what you do!!!!
    Barb
    Old 07-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Sounds to me like you are doing everything just right. And,
    by the way, it's pretty much the way I quilt. Just looking
    at your avator says you are doing very well.
    I know people who know all the 'name' people in quilting,
    know every technique,...but they don't make anything. How
    much fun can that be?
    Old 07-10-2011, 06:39 PM

Quarter inch seam...who needs it! I am just happy when two pieces of fabric are stuck together with thread. I have yet to follow a pattern but am very new to quilting. I just put stuff together that I like and somehow make it work.
    Old 07-10-2011, 06:53 PM

I think a lot of us might be just like you. If you made you avatar, it looks just beautiful.