Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QB- Good and Bad >
  • QB- Good and Bad

• QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-11-2011, 12:47 AM

I've just read through all 14 pages and cautiously would like to comment on a few things . . . if I'm interpreting anything incorrectly, please forgive me as I don't want to offend anyone or make any wrong assumptions.

1. Joy, as a caregiver, you are a hero. As a quilter, you are beautifully talented - holy cow, your avatar is all needle-turned! Awesome!!

2. The QB is intended for all skill levels. No one should compare themselves to one another, but rather should be supportive and encouraging. I think everyone's in agreement on this, but here's where I feel nervous commenting: after reading a number of similar threads in the past, I feel the downer side of it in a different way. There are so many replies about "I quilt for fun, not for perfection." As someone who is well-skilled at piecing, I have to speak up and say that I quilt for fun too. Fun and well-skilled can go hand-in-hand but from comments written, it sounds assumed that those who strive for perfection aren't quilting for the same reasons that have all been listed previously. I won't hesitate to rip out a seam if I know I have the potential to do it better. It's not for the sake of perfection, it's to challenge myself to do the best I'm able. And man oh man, does it feel good when I exceed my own expectations! It's FUN! Looking back at my work and knowing in my heart that I settled, rather than strived, that would take all of the joy out of my quilting.

3. Perfect points do not an advanced quilter make. I've been told I have a good eye for color and balance, that my piecing is excellent, but what I know about myself is this: I love to handquilt, but I do it with big stitches and am dreadfully slow. I've yet to complete a handquilted project in under two years. And my machine quilting totally stinks. There's no two ways about it. I can't machine quilt worth a hill of beans and knowing this, I'm intimidated to try. If I don't try, I can't fail . . . but I also can't succeed. I will always push myself to do better, to learn more. It's how I grow best.

4. All of that said, I hope that each person here feels validated in finding joy in quilting. Whether one has been quilting for days or decades, is beginner or advanced, we ALL have areas to learn and grow in and we ALL have ways of inspiring one another. Quilting is about creativity, expression, "Heart Art" (I just made that up, but is it too dorky of a phrase?).

Thank you for putting up with my wordy response. I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers as that isn't my intention at all.
    Old 07-11-2011, 01:12 AM

a quilt is like an oil painting you should stand back to view it and to get the full effect not study it up close. I think mine look good from a distance certainly wouldnt do any good in a show.
    Old 07-11-2011, 02:22 AM

Same here...no fancy machine, trouble with 1/4in and never sure which way to press. You are in good company!
    Old 07-11-2011, 07:09 AM

I found this in a fortune cookie, enlarged it, and have it hanging in my sewing room and in my office at work. It's helped me through a lot of quilting/sewing and work related snafus.

"Never compare yourself to the best others can do, but to the best you can do."
    Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM
    nab

LOVE is the glue. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you are not a quilter. Your family is sure lucky to have you. Your quilting sounds fine to me. I quilt for pleasure not for perfection.
    Old 07-11-2011, 04:11 PM

quilting is like art,cooking or whatever you do, it is in the eye of the beholder,if you are pleased and get pleasure in quilting, don't put yourself down, you are a QUILTER.
    you carry a heavy load and I admire you finding time to do something you enjoy.
    Just wish my dil would have the want to that you have.

d.swindle
    Old 07-11-2011, 05:42 PM

who says you have to do 1/4" seams, buy expensive fabric, and the list goes on. I admire you for taking care of family and still have time for yourself (quilting) Just hold your head up high and keep on quilting.
    Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM

I'm with you. I quilt because I love it and is relaxing.
    Old 07-11-2011, 07:12 PM

Joy, you are what a true quilter is all about.I am guessing by the age of your son you quilted when quilting was for need. you ladies that quilted from need learned to make beautiful quilts with what you had. I one the other hand have to go wth a plan and still mine dont always turn out. So I take my hat off to you and all the others who do this and make what they have work .Beautifully.
    Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Well sweetie, I think your name says it all. You are JOY! To care for all those men, and still find the energy to pour your love into quilt making is something to be proud of.

I will tell you a little secret - since I joined this board, I only post pictures of what I think are my best works. I don't bother showing my "everyday stuff." I'll bet there a lot of folks on this board who do everyday stuff right along with fancy and fabulous, but we only see their fancy and fabulous.

Please don't be so hard on yourself. The fact you can carry on with all the responsibilities you have shows you are an inspired and inspirational person!!