Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QB- Good and Bad >
  • QB- Good and Bad

• QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Oh good grief - you sound like many of us - as far as the quilting goes. Most of us are far from perfect or being perfectionists. We just love to make quilts. I'm determined to use fabric from my stash instead of buying more fabric. And I have a lot of thread, too, so I don't go out and buy more thread all the time.

Some of us are also caregivers, not because we've chosen it, but because that's what happens in life, and probably not for as many as you! I admire you for being able to keep so many balls in the air, so to speak.

Keep on quilting - it's a great hobby, and it helps me get my mind off the nettlesome parts of my life!
    Old 07-12-2011, 04:44 PM

Joy don't be so hard on yourself. You are such a caregiver with all you do. I have always been taught to do the best you can and if it's not perfect so what it's the time and love you put into doing things. Some of the quilts on here are just gorgeous. We all have our things we are best at but to be so down on yourself for a 1/4 seam don't do it. I'm sure all my seams are not perfect. You sound like a good person and caretaker and just Smile, Smile. It's hard when your taking care of people sometimes it gets you down.
    God bless you my dear lady. Sue
    Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 PM

It is your work and your pleasure, I go to quilt shows and someone is always asking to vote on the quilts or just 3 special quilts and I feel those people did those quilts with a lot of love, blood, sweat, and tears and they are all great. The quilts give us pleasure in more ways than one
    Old 07-12-2011, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
    Joy, you are a quilter. Fancy machines, 1/4 inch seams, and fabric dont make the quilt. It's the love that goes into the quilt that matters.
    Happy quilting,
    Margie
    Yes I agree and you are awesome.

:wink: :D :thumbup:
    Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 AM
    Banned

HI Joy,

This always makes me sad to think that we compare ourselves....I think we all have special gifts....
    Quilting is something we here on QB all have in common...because quilting attracts many types of people...from left brain to right brain...artists and math whiz people...that is the beautiful thing about quilting. I think there is always something to learn in quilting and that is why we don't tire of it..or after a break.. we will always pick it up again...because it meets a need within us.
    I was a quilter before it became my "business" (I hate calling it that) I will be a quilter long after this ends...it is something deep within me.

Well I think most others have probably already said everything...Many of us would grade ourselves as beginner quilters.
    You obviously have very special gifts that go far beyond quilting...a caregiver....God blessed you with that....not many people could/can do that.

I also have to just say that I haven't taken your quilt out of the box yet ( I am actually doing that tomorrow) and I am not one bit worried about your seam allowance...whether or not it is perfectly square..what kind of machine it was sewn on or anything else you mentioned....I am absolutely positive I won't have any issues.

Blessings to you my friend!
    Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 AM

Thanks to all for the encouragement. That is what I like about this board. No matter what the problem there are so many always there to lift your spirits. I certainly did not mean to sound like I was whining, just venting at myself for not being able to perfect that elusive 1/4 inch seam and feeling so stupid because I can't seem to press in the right direction. I am too blessed to complain. God gave me a wonderful family and I just try my best to look after them. God bless all of you.
    Old 07-13-2011, 02:42 AM

I agree. You are a quilter for sure. My quilts are way less than perfect but I love doing them and they are made with love. My Grandkids love them so I keep making them.
    Old 07-13-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
    Thanks to all for the encouragement. That is what I like about this board. No matter what the problem there are so many always there to lift your spirits. I certainly did not mean to sound like I was whining, just venting at myself for not being able to perfect that elusive 1/4 inch seam and feeling so stupid because I can't seem to press in the right direction. I am too blessed to complain. God gave me a wonderful family and I just try my best to look after them. God bless all of you.
    Joy, I don't believe anyone who responded thought you were "whining." I think you got so many responses simply because you said aloud what so many of us feel secretly.

I can't wait to see your Snake River Log Cabin. It is a pattern I would love to do someday, but, so far, I find it a little intimidating...But I'll get the nerve someday to tackle it!

Hope you have a blessed day!!
    Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 AM

I will chime in and say I didn't think you were whining either. Probably just having a bad day/week/month, or something like that. And I am totally with you about the pressing direction-thing! I am always overjoyed when a pattern actually tells you which way to press the seams because otherwise I just guess and deal with whatever mess I end up with on the back!
    Old 07-16-2011, 01:08 PM

I'm with you, sister!