Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • QB- Good and Bad >
  • QB- Good and Bad

• QB- Good and Bad

Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 AM

I make quilts to endulge my love of sewing, playing with fabrics and giving to others. My quilts would never win a prize in a show, fair, etc. but I don't do it for that. I am not a perfectioninst, never have been and never will be. If my seams line up, then "Hey, I did it!", if not then "Oh well, better luck next time. LOL!!" Sometimes I press my seams and sometimes I don't.

I seldom ever pre-wash my fabric. I prefer the crinkly, wrinkly look after I wash a completed quilt. I tend to stay with simple, plain blocks. I don't have the patience or the time to do fancy blocks.

I don't have a quilting machine (long arm) and don't want one. I have a simple Janome and a few old Singers that I love.

You are not alone and are in good company with us quilters who quilt for the love of quilting.

I buy fabric where I can afford it. If it is on sale at the lqs, then I get some. Otherwise, it is Walmart, thrift stores, online stores or even Ebay.
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:40 AM

I understand perfectly... when I finished my first quilt (not very long ago) I was so proud of myself and relished in my "ability" ... LOL... then I went to a quilt show... oh my gosh, the quilts were absolutely gorgeous (works of art)... I had a good laugh to myself about my pride... it is good to be reminded of the reality of humility... but I keep on quilting... because I also love doing it... and love to give the quilts to my family... keep on quilting...
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 AM

Joy, I really think most of us are regular old quilters... we sew when we can squeeze it in... we use what we have... we've got mistakes out the wazoo in our quilts.... we've got a hundred other things to think about rather than quilting... But... we love quilting... and the folks who cuddle up in our quilts love our quilts... and us...

Hang in there! And don't worry about anyone else... I do understand how you feel, but I've accepted that I'm not an award-winning quilter and never will be. I realized one day while sitting at the sewing machine and thinking "how lovely this moment is" that it did not matter that my quilts (the few of them) don't/won't win awards... I was in "quilty heaven."
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Joy....It is posts like yours and all the responses from the amazing people on this board that personify the reason I LOVE this board so much!! As i read through and knodded in agreement, smiled, and just enjoyed the warming of my heart with each post...I found glimpses of myself or full-on snapshots in each of your remarks....I am just feeling grateful that this board exists for all of us. I continue to be inspired, encouraged, and just plain happy to be among you!!! :)
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
    Joy, you are a quilter. Fancy machines, 1/4 inch seams, and fabric dont make the quilt. It's the love that goes into the quilt that matters.
    Happy quilting,
    Margie
    Quilts come from the heart
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by mizkyp
    Joy, you are a quilter. Fancy machines, 1/4 inch seams, and fabric dont make the quilt. It's the love that goes into the quilt that matters.
    Happy quilting,
    Margie
    This is absolutely correct!!! Margie, thank you for reminding all of us that because I think we sometimes forget!!!

;-)
    Old 07-09-2011, 06:58 AM

Joy, I went to look at your quilt pictures. I'm so sorry you have had a downer! Your applique work is just amazing. Your black & white log cabin is just wow. the pineapple quilt!!! all those points.

Don't stop quilting, tremors or no.

Your name is Joy & I hope quilting continues to BRING you JOY.
    Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 AM

Quilting is therapy for me. I have sewn many quilts while worrying about one thing or another and always felt better when done with a quilt. None of them are perfect and many won't suit one person or another because of the quality of FMQ. BUT....I donate most of them and the recipients don't care if my lines crossed while doing stippling. I recently finished a quilt top for my sister and even tho on one pinwheel block the points were far from perfect, she loved it! So I don't worry about my quality of quilts (which will get better as I learn) and continue to make them. I have learned so much from this board and one of the biggest things is that there is no such thing as a perfect quilt. Please use this board as inspiration and a learning tool, and not a place where you feel bad because your skills aren't as good as someone else. And please don't stop quilting!
    Old 07-09-2011, 07:12 AM

We quilt because we LOVE it, right? I do and perfection is rarely, if ever, achieved for me! I admire all quilters. We make what speaks to us(and a few that don't after a while!). Enjoy yourself and have a ball while you are at it!
    Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 AM

Others have already said it but I'll confirm. It is not the fabric you use or the fancy "stuff" but how you go about your craft with love and enjoyment. When I look at your quilt pictures you have posted I just enjoy! Your snake river log cabin in particular. I would not even attempt something with that many pieces. Bless you for what you do for your family and I'm so glad you have a creative outlet for your own fun. :)