Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's >
  • Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

• Quality of Keepsake Calico fabrics from Joann's

Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 AM

All Moda fabrics are made in S Korea ... and most of the other major manuf. are overseas too
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by krabadan
    The last Moda jelly roll I used was from Korea.
    All Moda fabrics are manuf. in S Korea ... and most other major manuf. are overseas too
    Old 07-27-2010, 07:11 AM

I too would like to know what you mean by a moving blanket???

I like QS fabric better than fabric from other stores, but have used them depending upon the project. Joann's and hobby lobby do sell Michael Miller now, (which I like).
    Old 07-27-2010, 11:08 AM
    Administrator

i think we're getting sidetracked here and have wandered off the original question (opinions of Keepsake Calicos, specifically) and the follow-up question (where to we recommend she look online for good fabric at budget prices?)

howzabut we save debates over where fabs are woven or printed; whether we should buy from whichever country; whether or not manufacturers sell the same prints on different material to different retailers, and all those potentially yucky arguments for another time.

oh ... say ... 3010. we've beaten all of them to death and back already this year. :lol:
    Old 07-27-2010, 02:22 PM

I'll agree with you Patrice!
    Old 07-27-2010, 02:32 PM

Joann's is not my first choice for fabrics. I have mixed feelings about their fabric since I bought a faulty gold fabric and it ruined my quilt. (The color would rub off when I used a marking pen for quilting and would discolor to white with the touch of a fingernail.) I still buy some fabrics there, but only by feel. If the fabric is on clearance I may look twice. Be careful - name brands are the best!
    Old 07-27-2010, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltgranny
    Originally Posted by Shorebird
    This will be a LONG discussion thread.....I have heard most experts say to buy the very best quality fabrics you can afford. Unfortunately, my experience has been that Joann's does not carry quality quilting cottons at a reasonable price. I can get far better quality at my LQS than the inflated price that Joann's charges on their "best" fabrics....I have had great luch with Some of the web shops, but I just do not buy quilt fabric at Joann's any longer.
    Would you mind sharing with us some of the online shops that you've found that have great products AND great prices?

Thanks so much,
    Not at all.......I use Web Fabrics most of all........she carries only top of the line fabric, and her shipping charges are fair. I have also ordered successfully from Connecting Threads. While their quality is not quite as nice as Web Fabrics, their prices are lower, and the quality is still more than acceptable.
    Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM

I have purchased some for a quilt recently. They don't shrink up a lot but I find that the design has some mess-ups. One section had a large dark blot verticly that I didn't notice when it was cut. It was kinda flustrating to cut around. Some areas seem much darker than others within the same yard. That's all I noticed so far.
    Old 07-27-2010, 03:53 PM

okay - on point.

1.over all, the quality of the fabric in joanns is not as good as
    good as the same manufacturer's fabric found in your independent fabric store.
    with only a few exceptions.

2. fabric made in other countries is made in other countries. that doesn't matter. it still gets made for who they make it for (themselves, or on contract).

if they make it for themselves, they uphold their own standards. if they make it for joanns, or anyone else, they make it to the required specifications of the chain store. in most cases, that's not as good as their own quality.

they take on these jobs at the risk of losing their reputations for the huge $$$$ they make weaving for a very large chain of stores for a guaranteed amount of money.

if the economy sinks, they still have an outlet for their mills for a specified length of time and an income they can count on.

they also supply woven goods directly to clothing manufactures and who knows what quality they're weaving for that? unless the label tells you, you have no idea who the manufacturer is.

i hope this answers your questions.
    Old 07-27-2010, 05:47 PM

I find good quality quilting fabric at Joann's, but like other quilters, if I like the pattern, I feel the texture, just to see if the quality matches my pattern find.