Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quarter Inch Seam >
  • Quarter Inch Seam

• Quarter Inch Seam

Old 11-04-2011, 07:47 AM

I love to quilt and enjoy so to buy fabric, plan, study what other quilters are doing. The one thing that does get to me,
    is if they are off and do not match as they should. The key being me, instead of them. Then I get down on me &
    lose some o my joy, but I stop and do a good deed or two ( clean a little, do something for some one) then i can get my self back to working on the blocks and matching, when finished it good, or ok, or great. Life is what it is.
    Bless be God life is good.
    Old 11-04-2011, 07:52 AM

I definitely feel your pain. I'm new at this and at first didn't realize how important the accurate seam allowance was. I
    now use the post it note pads on the bed of my machine and move the needle over to achieve the 1/4" seam. However,
    I'm wondering if it all depends on what block you're doing. If it's a simple block then the scant 1/4" will probably work but if it's a more complicated block where there are lots of bulky seams to iron, then maybe the seam allowance should be
    closer to 3/8". I think it's a judgement call.
    Old 11-04-2011, 08:25 AM

My best friend if my blocks don't fit quite right is the stilleto, you can also use it to hold your material next to the sewing machine needle. I love it. This is what mine looks like, there is different ones out there, that you can buy. http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/stiletto+awl.do
    Old 11-04-2011, 08:27 AM

Hold onto the ends and start slowly. I'm talking about when your thread gets away from you when you start sewing

Last edited by janny40; 11-04-2011 at 08:30 AM.
    Old 11-04-2011, 08:39 AM

My walking foot has a true 1/4 inch edge, so I use it for all my piecing, and I am always pleased. I onluy have to watchout for stretch things like stretch denim, which I am using in some log cabin blocks right now.
    Old 11-04-2011, 08:44 AM

Red face

[QUOTE=NellLaCaze;4617510]
    Originally Posted by carslo
    I bought a 1/4 inch foot for all of my machines - that has helped so much! They weren't expensive]
    First- I brought a 1/4 foot for my machine and it was just a foot not shank and foot and had to pay $23.68 with tax. So where did you find one cheaper at.
    Second- Was wondering why every I go to sew my needle keeps coming unthreaded. I leave a long enuff thread but it still comes untreaded.
    Be sure that you hold the tails of the thread when you are getting ready to start sewing. If I don't do that my needle comes undone, too.
    Old 11-04-2011, 09:01 AM

On my first quilt, I didn't get the SCANT 1/4 inch thing... so many of my blocks didn't fit right... but I was told to go ahead and it would all work out... with the quilting and the pressing... and it did.. The next time I did a quilt.. I said to myself... scant is less then 1/4 meaning with the 1/4 inch foot you can't see the fabric, I also put masking tape several layers thick from the needle to be my quide.
    In the end, as said by Debra "the warmth and love you put into it is the important part. "
    Old 11-04-2011, 09:56 AM

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one!
    Old 11-04-2011, 10:06 AM

I bought the 1/4" foot with the small blade on the right side. I can put the edge of my fabric against it as the pieces go thru. I took it out after sewing and measured it, and amazingly it was just right. I don't know how I got good seams before this foot. On my featherweight, I used some "moleskin" . I cut a small 1/4" wide by about2" piece off and attached it to the bed of my machine. I was sure to measure the correct 1/4 " from the needle and it has worked for me for years.
    Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 AM

I think there are many members of this board that fall into that category at one time in our quilting career. But if it is any consolation, quilting can hide a million boo boos. Good luck, smile, be happy and just keep on keeping on.