Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The quest for the perect thimble >
  • The quest for the perect thimble

• The quest for the perect thimble

Old 10-27-2011, 04:28 AM

I am looking for a thimble for hand applique and sewing, but cannot seem to find something that is not bulky. I have tried the sticky dots, an old fashioned metal thimble, a Roxanne's silver thimble, a leather thimble and nothing at all, but I get holes in my finger. Has anyone found a thimble that is flexible but yet will keep my poor old finger from getting holes in the end? I plan on ordering a hand quilting thimble from The Thimble Lady, but still need one for my applique. Anyone have a tried and true thimble?
    Old 10-27-2011, 04:37 AM

I use masking tape over my finger and make it a thicker spot with smaller pieces where the needle hits then put a few pieces over the top until it is good. I have an entire of sewing thimbles I hate and that is the best I have found.
    Old 10-27-2011, 04:43 AM

My favorite is the brown, deerskin leather ones. I believe they are made by Clover. I wear a thimble on both hands when quitling as I use both hands. On my left hand I wear the thimble on my thumb and if using the brown one I cut the bottom off so it fits my thumb better. I always purchase two or three when ever I find them. I have little handsewing/handquilting kits in almost everyroom in my house. I also have several to go kits in tote bags so that I can grab a portable quilting project to take with me any time I think I will have time and space to work on something.
    Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM

Love the leather ones as well - both hands. Also, good old sports tape works pretty good.
    Old 10-27-2011, 05:51 AM
    Power Poster

Clover's flexible thimble is the best I've used. It's featherlight and comfortable.

http://www.clover-usa.com/product/0/..._Grip_Thimbles
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:17 AM

I haven't found a thimble that fits. I have one that I use but it falls off my finger all the time. I just keep trying with the ones I have and hoping that I will get used to one of them.
    Sue
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 AM
    Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-157779-1.htm
    I use the bandage wrap that is like the animal wrap. Works great!
    Old 10-27-2011, 06:26 AM

I recently read on a blog (not sure where it is now!!) that the lady bought leather gloves at good will stores, and cut the fingers off to use as thimble's. She said to get the smallest glove you can find, so the finger's fit well. I use the finger from a rubber glove with a piece of leather inside.
    Old 10-27-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1
    I am looking for a thimble for hand applique and sewing, but cannot seem to find something that is not bulky. I have tried the sticky dots, an old fashioned metal thimble, a Roxanne's silver thimble, a leather thimble and nothing at all, but I get holes in my finger. Has anyone found a thimble that is flexible but yet will keep my poor old finger from getting holes in the end? I plan on ordering a hand quilting thimble from The Thimble Lady, but still need one for my applique. Anyone have a tried and true thimble?
    For hand quilting, I adore my Thimble Lady cone thimbles (finger and thumb).

For other sewing, I use a tailor's thimble, which is like an ordinary metal thimble but without a top. It's like a wide ring that fits around my fingertip. It has a ridge around the bottom edge and a smaller ridge around the top edge.

Fifty years ago, when my mother started me on hand sewing, she got a tiny thimble for me. And when I said it didn't feel right, I couldn't sew with it, she had me wear it all day every day for a week. Problem solved.

In fact, I'm so conditioned to using a thimble that I'm not sure I could sew anything by hand without my thimble on.
    Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 AM

These are the best!!

I have at least two sizes because my fingers tend to shrink a little when it gets colder.