Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about alighnment. >
  • Question about alighnment.

• Question about alighnment.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:23 AM
    Power Poster

if it's not the pressing causing the issue, you may get better results by pinning every strip intersection to the sash.
    Old 03-11-2012, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK
    I think I see a slight bow in the upper middle of your block. If everything measured the same to that point, something has stretched, probably with a little too aggresive pressing. Try pinning your block to the ironing board {or another flat surface) in the correct measurement, spray with water, and let dry. I'll bet it will come out right.

The other thing to check is when you are cutting accross a lot of seams--like this one. Make sure that the weight of your hand is on the area you are cutting--even if it means that you have to stop a few times on the way down the cut and remeasure and reposition the ruler. The seams will throw off the cut if the pressure is not the same.

Honestly, don't worry about a small difference here and there. Such a small amount will work itself into the quilt quite easily.
    She is right and the quilting covers a multitude of sins also. LOL
    Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 AM

I think everyone covered the sewing but one thing too that unless your taught alot of people don't realize where to measure when adding sashing and borders. Measure thru the middle of whatever your adding, strips or borders. have fun!!
    Old 03-11-2012, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by xxmbbxx
    I press it before I sew, maybe I am not pressing right?
    First of all if you use starch it does help reduce stretching. When you press make sure you press instead of ironning back and forth like we are taught as kids doing clothes. The up and down of pressing makes a difference.
    Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

Wow, this discussion has been a quilting 101. Great information from everyone. Your quilt is going to look lovely.
    Old 03-11-2012, 10:09 AM

To me the strips don't look even, the same size, could be cutting them improperly, sewing them wrong, not squaring up at each step to make sure you haven't stretched the fabric. Also the left side of your quilt looks smaller than the right side. I think you will be fine if you just slow down. Slowing down really helps accuracy
    Old 03-11-2012, 10:34 AM
    Banned

also realign the edges about evey other cut. The ruler tends to slip and you don't have perfect cuts (squares)
    Old 03-11-2012, 07:42 PM

I agree! Not matter what I do, I get off grain after 3 or so cuts. I just straighten the edge again, and keep going. I also think that it is boring to make cut after cut, so I tend to cut only a little ahead, then do something else. This works for me, but might not work for others.

Originally Posted by Holice
    also realign the edges about evey other cut. The ruler tends to slip and you don't have perfect cuts (squares)
    Old 03-11-2012, 07:56 PM
    QM
    Power Poster

All of the above are possible problems. I think you might also be pulling as you feed it through the machine, which was a problem I had with my binding. It might also help if you starch/size heavilybefore you begin your sewing.
    Old 03-11-2012, 09:20 PM

The suggestions about cutting are great -- starching too. The other thing to watch out for if you cut a lot of strips is the bow in the strip.

However, at this point, I would draw a lines across the back of the sashing fabric like Prism99 said that are the average width of the stripes, then match the strips to the to the lines and pin. I would probably sew with the stripes on the bottom if there are a lot of them that are wider than the average. The feed dogs will ease in the fabric a bit.