Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Question about backing fabric >
  • Question about backing fabric

• Question about backing fabric

Old 06-02-2014, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by bigsister63
    Hint- when buying 40" fabric for backing have it cut into 2 seperate pieces ie- need 4 yds then hAve pieces cutinto 2 yrd. this saves yopu from having to tear/cut the backing fabric in half your self!
    I would only do this if you trust the person cutting to measure correctly and cut straight. My LQS cant cut a straight line for anything.
    Old 06-02-2014, 10:11 PM

Hi Fiona, nice to hear from a 'neighbour' on QB, I live in East Kilbride, same comments as everyone else re amount of backing, like you if I can get double width that matches, I use that also as its usually cheaper. I did use batik for one of my backings and it probably cost more than the front lol, but it looked so nice I couldnt resist.
    Old 06-03-2014, 12:44 AM

Here's a simple quilt calculator. There's also a free one for a iPhone/Android by Robert Kaufman which I keep on my phone - here - handy for those impromptu visits to your LQS!

If you're joining 44" fabric, another tip I was given is to join the two pieces along the selvages to form a tube. Then use one of your 'tube' fold lines to cut it open (probably best to use scissors, lol). This way you'll have two equidistant seams instead of one seam bang in the middle of your back.

If you're feeling brave, here's a link to a Diagonal Backing Calculator! Happy quilting
    Old 06-03-2014, 05:27 AM
    Power Poster

Fa bric widths vary. Measure and allow for shrinkage.
    Old 06-03-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by crocee
    I would only do this if you trust the person cutting to measure correctly and cut straight. My LQS cant cut a straight line for anything.
    I was thinking the same thing! And since I pre-wash, I lose a little bit of each cut end due to strings and trimming, so I prefer fabric in one big piece.

Plus, if you're at Joann's (or similar) and using a coupon, 2 cuts usually count as 2 separate items so only part would be discounted!
    Old 06-03-2014, 06:11 PM

1) I do not prewash but if I did then I would still have them cut 2 pieces since it is easier to handle when ironing. 2) often when fabric is cut you will get a smidgen more than requested so with 2 pieces you could get more extra. 3) Joanns will accept Hobby lobby 40% off coupons on fabric so you can use more than 1 coupon to buy the 2 pieces. Just go on line uinder HL ad print out thhe coupons. 3) 2 smaller pieces is easier to handle when ironing and cutting.
    Old 06-04-2014, 06:14 AM

Besides your length, you'd need an extra length to make up for the width. Fabric is generally 44-45" wide, and you said your finished width is 61 1/2" wide.
    Old 06-04-2014, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Fifee
    I dont know if Im having a problem understanding the amount of fabric required for backing fabric.

The quilt that Im working on is 61 1/2" x 74 1/2" finished dimensions. The pattern calls for 4 yards of backing fabric. So in working out how much fabric 4 yards actually is I found that 4 yards is way too much. 1 yard is 36 inches in length so 4 x 36" = 144" which is 1" shy of being double the length of fabric needed. If I buy 106" backing fabric I understand that I will have a surplus going across the width of the fabric and thats fair enough, but I really dont get the length thing at all.

Can anyone explain to this newbie why so much fabric is needed?

Fiona.
    I am like you they average way to much for this.
    Old 06-04-2014, 09:39 AM

I agree with Knitette, use the Robert Kaufman phone app for iphone or android. Eliminates math problems. Since I started using it, i never buy too much fabric for a quilt project.
    Old 06-04-2014, 09:47 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by matraina
    Besides your length, you'd need an extra length to make up for the width. Fabric is generally 44-45" wide, and you said your finished width is 61 1/2" wide.
    I would say that more than half of the "regular" width quilting fabrics are only 42 inches or less wide. I have measured hundreds of them and kept a tally sheet of the widths.